Marriage: Call Me Romantic...

Breanna Myers
Marriage, to me, means nothing anymore. Like most other traditions popular to the public its value is downgraded by people doing it for all the wrong reasons.
“Will you marry me?” The most popular four words in the English language, always accompanied by the most popular three. When asked, I’m sure a lot of thoughts go through a person’s mind. They may ask themselves.”Am I ready?” “Is this the right time?” “Do I really want to go through with this type of commitment?”
I believe the reason so many marriages fail is simply because too many people are asking the wrong questions! Is this the right time? Well I don’t know, answer this, is there ever a wrong time to commit to the person you love? If you find yourself seriously thinking about the other two questions. You already know the answer, and that is probably not the person you need to “tie the knot “with.
The problem with marriage is it’s no longer seen as a sacred bond, save for a social institution people feel obligated to join, at some point in their lives. This version of marriage means nothing to me, but the founding principle of true marriage means everything. True marriage is about two people choosing each other to be partners in life, and mutually working hard to keep one another. You should choose this person to be by your side for four reasons: 1) You love them; 2) You’ll work hard to keep them by your side 3) They love you, and 4) they’ll work hard to keep you by their side. That is really all there needs to be in a true marriage, and if you’re not getting married for those four reasons, then you’re not getting married. You’re just having a wedding.
Also there’s no set time to find the person you want to by your side in life. So it’s never too late, and it’s never too early to be truly married. To me marriage is not about money, age, or status; it’s not about knowing what you want in life, but who you want in life. So when your boyfriend/girlfriend asks you to marry them. The only question that should go through your mind is, “Are we not already?”