Marriage: The Commitment

nskumar
I like to think that my wedding day will be the happiest day of my life. I want it to be special, memorable and most importantly with the man of my dreams. After all, marriage isn’t like any other ceremony. It’s the eternal union of two people that love each other.
Of course I can’t wait for the superficial aspect of marriage—I can already imagine my wedding gown; beautiful white silk, intricate gold beading, elaborate gathers…who will be my maid of honor?—but on a deeper level, I can’t wait to meet my soul mate, the love of my life. Maybe I’m just a hopeless romantic, but to me marriage is the most beautiful and meaningful ceremony in a person’s life. It unites two people that love each other more than anything in the world. Nothing is more beautiful than love.
Love has no past tense. It’s never-ending, but it’s also a huge commitment. Nowadays people toss around that four letter word like it has no meaning. However, “love” is one of the most powerful words in the English language. Despite what other people think, love has no expiration date and neither should marriage.
As a Catholic, I find this quote about the beauty of love, from the Corinthians, inspirational and so true.

“Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud. It is not rude, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs. Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth. It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres. Love never fails.”

It was written in the Bible, it was written just a moment ago, but I will write it again.
Love. Never. Fails.
Marriage is like the action that expresses endless love. It’s the commitment that brings two people together for all of eternity, “til death do us part.” A married couple is family and family never stops loving. I may not be close to marriage, but I am apart of a family and am very passionate when it comes to the subject of marriage and commitment.
According to the standard wedding vows, marriage must persevere through everything, including money problems. One major reason for divorce is financial issues. But what happened to for better or for worse? For richer or for poorer? In sickness and in health? Divorce defeats the whole purpose of marriage.
In the Indian culture, marriage is one of the most sacred bonds made in life. Whether its an arranged marriage or a love marriage, it must, and most probably will, last until death.
My parents, both Indian, married for love. They have been together for 23 years. Commitment. Maybe the initial “sparks” are gone, maybe they don’t have the same butterflies as newly weds, or maybe they’re still madly in love. All I know is that they are family and intend to stick to their commitment. That’s what marriage is all about.
Comment by ciaobella14

This is a beautiful explanation of your opinion on marriage!! I feel the same in many aspects of the descriptions you provide and absolutely love the quote from the Bible. An overall wonderful job on this piece! :)
Posted: Sunday, February 27, 2011 11:44:53 PM