Marriage: Only a Label

tieabest
There are four words in the English language that when strung together create perhaps the most pivotal moment in any girls life, Will you marry me? At that moment, all that matters in this world is the perfect guy. You know; the one that makes her heart beat when he walks into the room, that is constantly drifting through her thoughts, the one that she has utterly fallen for. But if she says yes, what does that mean? She’ll call her mom and they’ll buy a white dress, her and her husband will become a Mr. and Mrs. Somebody and live happily ever after… right?
Marriage was originally a bond between three people, a man, a woman and God. It was a promise to both your husband/wife and God that you will love them unequivocally until “death do you part.” In today’s society however, religion has dwindled from the landscape, as has the true meaning of matrimony. Just because couples do not wed does not mean they don’t share the same love as married couples.
When people ask if I am going to get married I have a standard response; I don’t believe in marriage. But that’s a lie. I believe in the idea of two people living happily ever after, in promising forever. What I disagree with is proving it in front of everyone else. Why can’t two people just live together and have a life without the labels husband and wife? My parents aren’t married and yet they have been together for 27 years and have raised two children. These accomplishments have not come without a price though. Their entire lives they have been judged and have faced prejudice for deciding against marriage. The fact that most of my friend’s parents are divorced while mine are still together is proof that marriage does not mean everything.
If you love someone, truly love them, it does not matter if you have matching rings or a ceremony in front of a preacher. All that matters is that they love you back. Marriage at face value is useless if you aren’t religious enough to appreciate the promise to God. Happiness does not require marriage, neither does love. So save yourself the time and money and love without labels.
Comment by kinzie52

i was very intrigued by what you were saying. it was interesting to think about and consider. and the best part of of your writing to me was the last line. it tied it all in so creatively.
Posted: Friday, February 25, 2011 10:38:24 PM

You did a great job expressing your ideas on the meaning and values of marriage! I have to agree with the last comment; the last line tied it all in very nicely. Coincidentally, when I was younger my feelings were the same. Marriage is the certificate, rings and is meaningless compared to the actual meaning behind it. However, when the time came to finding my soulmate and I was a little older I realized that although, as you stated, it is the mutual love and commitment to God, marriage does consummate it. 16 years happily married and still calling each anniversary our 'honeymoon', I can say that love and God are the foundation of many ingredients that create a lasting and happy marriage! Great essay.
Posted: Sunday, March 20, 2011 7:51:19 PM
Comment by bugcandy

I wanted to let you know that your essay for our February writing contest about marriage was one of the finalists. Megan, our PR Coordinator, will be in touch with you (if she hasn't already) via email.

We'll be announcing the winner later today or tomorrow. I personally look forward to seeing more of your essays/writing on StageofLife.com.

Thanks for sharing your point of view with us!

Yours,

Eric
Presient & CEO, StageofLife.com

P.s. Did you enter the current student writing contest?
Posted: Thursday, March 24, 2011 4:50:56 PM