Marriage: A Perfect Design

KateD432
“Same-sex marriage.” “Woman flees arranged marriage.” “Healing your marriage after infidelity.” These are only a few recent news headlines regarding the highly controversial topic of marriage. Is there such a thing as a right marriage? Why are so many marriages messed up? What needs to change? Suppose I gave you a complex puzzle complete with the usual picture of the finished product. You hurriedly tried to assemble the puzzle without looking at the guide. Pieces you placed together just didn’t fit. What would you do? Obviously you would turn to the big picture to see where each piece should go. Disassembling the puzzle and then actually using the picture to build it would result in a perfect, finished product. God designed the puzzle of marriage. He has given us His answer key—the Bible. His plan for marriage is flawless.
In the Bible, God demonstrated His perfect plan for marriage when He created Adam and Eve. God brought Eve to Adam, indicating the rightness of a union between one man and one woman. Unfortunately, shortly afterward, people started to turn aside from God’s perfect plan. Men with men and women with women, engaged in what God calls an abomination (Lev.18:22 KJV). Homosexuality was not part of God’s perfect, flawless plan. King David, a man after God’s own heart, also deviated from God’s perfect plan by having an adulterous relationship with Bathsheba (2 Samuel 11). David did forsake that sin, but the consequences were unavoidable. Bathsheba’s child died and David had to deal with strife, murder, and hatred from his other children, birthed from different mothers. Adultery was not part of God’s perfect, flawless plan. Trying to invent one’s own puzzle of marriage instead of following God’s design only brings lasting consequences and heartache. From the beginning, the right marriage is between one man and one woman.
Marriage is valuable because it displays God’s character. Through the union of one man and one woman, God’s selfless nature is displayed as the man and woman both lay aside their own desires out of preference for the other. Marriage according to God’s plan will succeed beautifully, as evidenced by my parents’ strong marriage. Sadly, many people in today’s society have distorted God’s character in their marriages. Instead of displaying God’s selfless nature through His perfect design, they see marriage as a way to obtain self-satisfaction. Ignoring God’s perfect plan, they try to insert their own deformed puzzle pieces into the puzzle of marriage, such as fornication, divorce, and homosexuality. What is the result? Pieces that don’t conform to God’s plan leave one emotionally broken and physically scarred with disease. Only valuing God’s perfect plan and following His answer key, the Bible, will spare you the pain and heartache that come from disobedience.
What if we stopped distorting God’s character and instead valued His plan for marriage? This big puzzle of marriage would point to its intention—the selfless character of the grand Designer. God will bless the marriages that follow His perfect design.
Comment by kinzie52

i LOVE LOVE LOVE this. when i entered mine- i intended to write about God. I ended up not doing it, but i would have tried to express what you just did.
you ROCKED this essay. heck yeah!
Posted: Friday, February 25, 2011 8:45:17 PM