Marriage: A Commitment to Keeping a Promise

casbar23
I’m young; I have my own prejudices; I still lack the empathy and the imagination to stand in the shoes of someone I don’t know. But I’ve seen what happiness marriage brought to my parents and both pairs of my grandparents. I believe marriage to be, simply, a commitment. It’s a promise to love and cherish and adore someone for as long as you can. However, though it sounds all sunshine and rainbows, it can cause pretty heavy casualties.

But it does have some merits. Marriage is a way to show your love but not show OFF your love. It’s symbolic but not defining, important but not vital. It is far from a contract that mires you in the mud of loving someone until you break; instead, it leaves room for you to pave a way in a cruelly vibrant world with a little help.

True, one can do that without being married to his or her partner, but there’s something about that raw commitment, the unspoken strength of the promise, that rings true with me. I may be a romantic at heart, but I know marriage is not simply for the lonely, the insecure, or the girly girls. Marriage is for two people who simply want to promise to love each other for a very long while.

But marriage can be a storm-brewer, a wave-tosser, a lightning-striker. It can break hears as easily as it binds them together, and its destruction can snowball quicker than you can say, “divorce.” I’ve seen enough heartbreaking movies and been to enough of my friends’ homes to know they might be experiencing something far different from my home life. Marriage can make people so sick of love they’re off it for life. Have you ever loved a food so much and pigged out on so much you suddenly found yourself hating it?

Marriage is a tough decision. It can mean the right thing for some while a disaster for others.

Yet even with all the naysayers, marriage has lasted even into this global, modern time. Why? Because that unspoken promise, bond, or whatever you want to call it is what we use as salve to heal our insecure, lonely hearts. It is what brings us together, what drives us apart. Its value is mountain high simply because of its power over our human natures.
Comment by kinzie52

man i love your metaphors. That makes your writing sound mature and just darn right awesome. Yours was totally different then mine, though I chose promise too.
Really really good.
Posted: Friday, February 25, 2011 7:48:04 PM
Comment by bugcandy

I wanted to let you know that your essay for our February writing contest about marriage was one of the finalists. Megan, our PR Coordinator, will be in touch with you (if she hasn't already) via email.

We'll be announcing the winner later today or tomorrow. I personally look forward to seeing more of your essays/writing on StageofLife.com.

Thanks for sharing your point of view with us!

Yours,

Eric
Presient & CEO, StageofLife.com

P.s. Did you enter the current student writing contest?
Posted: Thursday, March 24, 2011 4:29:59 PM