Marriage: An Underrated Blessing

alternativealex
In the eyes of most teenagers, and admittedly myself at times, marriage seems extremely unattractive. With the added responsibility and loss of freedom, what fun-seeking person would ask for a thing like marriage? The restriction, the stress, the patience - it just appears to be wasting time that you could be spending in a much more pleasant way. Though this is how many teenagers and adults view the idea of marriage, so many benefits and rewards of marriage are left unnoticed.
The words, “For better or for worse,” are included in traditional marriage vows for the specific reason of saying that both good and bad will happen during marriage. Pointless fights and hurtful words are unavoidable, but they never outweigh the loving looks, sweet thoughts, and soft touches that are also guaranteed to happen. Of course there are people who marry for reasons other than love, but actual marriage provides you with a friend that always wants the best for you and loves you without condition. Being emotionally bonded to someone that has shown to undoubtedly care about you gives you a sense of security in yourself and in your relationship with that person. The love, security, and trust that marriage proves in a relationship, to me, makes it all that much more worthwhile.
Then, of course, there is that huge percentage of teenagers and adults that don’t want to get married because of the commitment that is required. Only one person to romantically love and be loved by? That just doesn’t sound like enough to some people. What I believe is so satisfying about only having one person for the rest of your life, is the level of satisfaction and enjoyment that they will give you. In the same way that hearing, “I love you,” from a complete stranger means less than an, “I love you,” from a best friend, any romantic activity experienced with a date or short-term relationship won’t mean as much. Even though long-term relationships can have very meaningful experiences, having those experiences with someone who has vowed to be with you forever makes it much more memorable and special.
Concluding my opinions over the controversial topic of marriage, I do believe that marriage is something that everyone can and should allow themselves to enjoy once they have found the one they are made for. Fun, trusting, secure, and stable – marriage is just another underrated blessing that we should all take more time to appreciate. Before making any permanent opinions on the subject, think of all the good that outweighs the bad in marriage. Reconsider finding your loved one and someday saying the words, “I do.”