Marriage: Worthwhile or Worthless?

cmonk
The Merriam-Webster Dictionary has three definitions of marriage and I read them all hoping to get some ideas, but certain words kept popping up and ruining my concentration. Words like “wedlock" and "contractual relationship recognized by law". If these words were spoken by someone who was unaware of their meaning the person would probably think they were talking about a business transaction, and in some cases he would be right.
There are hundreds of ways to describe the idea of marriage: monogamy, cohabitation, civil union, domestic partnership, etc. I think the reason there are so many words to describe marriage is because everyone views it in a different light, some use it as a gateway to wealth and power, for others it is thought to be a necessary part of life, and to some it is a completely unnecessary waste of time. But then there is always that iconic couple, the ones who are together solely because they could not imagine being apart. Because of this, I cannot tell you marriages’ value. Marriage, like beauty, is in the eye of the beholder, and it is up to you to decide its worth for yourself.