Marriage: Do I Need It?

klobes
Since I was a small child, I’ve always wondered what the heck I would do when I grew up and had the option to…dare I say it? Get married. The prospect scared me, and at age seven, I decided that marriage was not for me. Who would want to live with me forever, and more importantly, who would I want to put up with forever? I couldn’t picture myself stuck with one man forever and ever. That decided it. I was going to stay single my whole life, traveling the world and, of course, being rich. I didn’t need a man to hinder me and I most definitely did not need children that I’d have to spend all my money on.

However, I’ve been thinking recently, reconsidering marriage as an option for my adult life. I realize I’m only sixteen. I’m sure most adults would laugh at me for even thinking about marriage at this stage in my life. But I like to think that it’s never too early to start considering my future. In fact, it’s legal to marry at the age of sixteen with parental consent in most states. I could very well get married right now if my parents allowed me to. But I’ve never even dated before. I feel like I’ll be unprepared to marry ten years from now. In no circumstance will I be ready for marriage in my teenage years.

Marriage, to me, has always seemed like the rite of passage to a successfully boring adulthood. Once you get married, there’s no turning back. Congratulations, you are now a boring, hard-working adult. There’s nothing fun or crazy about your life except the occasional night out at a boring, fancy restaurant.

Yet there’s something undeniably appealing about having someone who will be there for me whenever I need it. I have never had a true “best” friend in my life, but many closer friends who come and go. To have a single special person who knows me as well as I know myself sounds rather comforting. I long for the security I hope marriage would provide in my adult life.

On the other hand, so many marriages end in divorce. I cannot stand the thought of promising to devote my entire life to a person, only to never speak to them again. How awful! Marriage means nothing when not taken as a binding agreement. It is meaningless and degrading to happily married couples. I hope that I will not disgrace the gift of marriage by breaking that life-long promise.

Considering my hopes and desires, I am now completely open to the idea of being married when I’m an adult or at least having a serious long-term relationship. Years from now I may look back on this essay, or perhaps recall my views on marriage from when I was seven. I may laugh and ridicule my immature, foolish self, but I hope by then, my deepest desires and questions about marriage will have been addressed.
Comment by michness

It's good to stay open to any and all possibilities in life. Otherwise, you run the risk of cutting off wonderful opportunities--like forever love! Although it seems farfetched, it is possible. (Or maybe I'm just a hopeless romantic.)

I love your writing style! I can't wait to read something else by you :)
Posted: Thursday, February 17, 2011 3:22:47 PM
Comment by sullysolipsism

Great essay! Well thought out.
Posted: Friday, February 18, 2011 2:59:56 AM