Marriage: It's Not Worth It!

dbratbengirl
Dear Journal,
It happened again today, but I don’t know why. The house was clean, the dishes was done, and everything smelled like flowers. Except the kitchen. The kitchen smelled like steak and potatoes, cause that’s what he wanted for dinner. She started cookin’ when she got home from getting’ her nails done just what he wants. Her hair was pinned up too, just the way he likes it. She was even wearin’ long sleeves to cover up his secrets. Mama was happy today. I even saw her smile a little. She tried to hide it, but I saw it. I told myself I wouldn’t tell. He didn’t like her to be happy, less there’s company over a course. I felt a little sorry for her, I knowed she was hoping he had remembered. But I know him better, he ain’t thought nothing bout it, or her. All he cares about is what people be thinking an saying bout him. He’s worried bout hisself and that’s it. Poor mama, she was so happy today. Why’d he have to go an ruin it? He said it was the potatoes, but I know it wasn’t, he just needed an excuse to blame her for his carelessness. He’d forgotten. Mama tried not to show her disappointment, but he must a seen her. He could see she was expecting something, and he didn’t have nothin’. That’s when it happened. That’s when he threw his plate on the floor in disgust. When he smash the flower vase she’d just bought onto the floor and stepped on the flowers she’d just picked form the garden. That’s when he smacked her again and again. Til’ she was crying and her hair fell out, her nails were broken and she ripped her dress too. When he was done hittin’ on her he left. And she started cleanin’ up the mess as soon as she knowed he was gone. I asks mama all the time why we don’t leave. I didn’t mind sleeping on the couch in our old apartment. Or over at a friend’s house when she had to work late. She keep sayin’ he gonna change, but I know he not, and she know he not neither. But she gotta stay. The church says so, she said. Divorce is not right, but marriage is good. Well I don’t care what the church say. I ain’t never getting married. Never. It’s not worth it! Imma be free and live by myself forever. Ain’t gonna let no man beat up on me just’in cause the church say so. God know’s he ain’t right and she needa leave. But she won’t listen to nobody. Nobody but the church, the church who say stand by your husband. Stand by your husband. Well…I ain’t gonna have no husband.
Signed,
A Crying Soul
(P.s. This story is completely fictional. None of this has ever happened to me or with in my household. I wrote it to expose the negative effects of some marriages and domestic violence within a marriage.)
Comment by sullysolipsism

I like how you captured the "dialect" (?) . . . (hmmm, or maybe cadence or simply accentwould be a better word) of how the narrator speaks. It really added to the whole story. :)
Posted: Sunday, February 13, 2011 12:56:23 PM

Your point was creatively illustrated in your story. It brings up a realistic perspective of some marriages that seem more unfortunate than the blessing that marriage is meant to be.
Posted: Sunday, March 20, 2011 5:31:24 AM
Comment by bugcandy

I wanted to let you know that your essay for our February writing contest about marriage was one of the finalists. Megan, our PR Coordinator, will be in touch with you (if she hasn't already) via email.

We'll be announcing the winner later today or tomorrow. I personally look forward to seeing more of your essays/writing on StageofLife.com.

Thanks for sharing your point of view with us!

Yours,

Eric
Presient & CEO, StageofLife.com

P.s. Did you enter the current student writing contest?
Posted: Thursday, March 24, 2011 4:27:22 PM