STAGE OF LIFE       Share Your Story       Coupons       Education Resources

Marriage: It's Not Worth It!

dbratbengirl
Dear Journal,
It happened again today, but I don’t know why. The house was clean, the dishes was done, and everything smelled like flowers. Except the kitchen. The kitchen smelled like steak and potatoes, cause that’s what he wanted for dinner. She started cookin’ when she got home from getting’ her nails done just what he wants. Her hair was pinned up too, just the way he likes it. She was even wearin’ long sleeves to cover up his secrets. Mama was happy today. I even saw her smile a little. She tried to hide it, but I saw it. I told myself I wouldn’t tell. He didn’t like her to be happy, less there’s company over a course. I felt a little sorry for her, I knowed she was hoping he had remembered. But I know him better, he ain’t thought nothing bout it, or her. All he cares about is what people be thinking an saying bout him. He’s worried bout hisself and that’s it. Poor mama, she was so happy today. Why’d he have to go an ruin it? He said it was the potatoes, but I know it wasn’t, he just needed an excuse to blame her for his carelessness. He’d forgotten. Mama tried not to show her disappointment, but he must a seen her. He could see she was expecting something, and he didn’t have nothin’. That’s when it happened. That’s when he threw his plate on the floor in disgust. When he smash the flower vase she’d just bought onto the floor and stepped on the flowers she’d just picked form the garden. That’s when he smacked her again and again. Til’ she was crying and her hair fell out, her nails were broken and she ripped her dress too. When he was done hittin’ on her he left. And she started cleanin’ up the mess as soon as she knowed he was gone. I asks mama all the time why we don’t leave. I didn’t mind sleeping on the couch in our old apartment. Or over at a friend’s house when she had to work late. She keep sayin’ he gonna change, but I know he not, and she know he not neither. But she gotta stay. The church says so, she said. Divorce is not right, but marriage is good. Well I don’t care what the church say. I ain’t never getting married. Never. It’s not worth it! Imma be free and live by myself forever. Ain’t gonna let no man beat up on me just’in cause the church say so. God know’s he ain’t right and she needa leave. But she won’t listen to nobody. Nobody but the church, the church who say stand by your husband. Stand by your husband. Well…I ain’t gonna have no husband.
Signed,
A Crying Soul
(P.s. This story is completely fictional. None of this has ever happened to me or with in my household. I wrote it to expose the negative effects of some marriages and domestic violence within a marriage.)
Rate this:
Comment by sullysolipsism

I like how you captured the "dialect" (?) . . . (hmmm, or maybe cadence or simply accentwould be a better word) of how the narrator speaks. It really added to the whole story. :)
Posted: Sunday, February 13, 2011 12:56:23 PM
Rate this:
Comment by DarkStar49

Your point was creatively illustrated in your story. It brings up a realistic perspective of some marriages that seem more unfortunate than the blessing that marriage is meant to be.
Posted: Sunday, March 20, 2011 5:31:24 AM
Rate this:
Comment by bugcandy

I wanted to let you know that your essay for our February writing contest about marriage was one of the finalists. Megan, our PR Coordinator, will be in touch with you (if she hasn't already) via email.

We'll be announcing the winner later today or tomorrow. I personally look forward to seeing more of your essays/writing on StageofLife.com.

Thanks for sharing your point of view with us!

Yours,

Eric
Presient & CEO, StageofLife.com

P.s. Did you enter the current student writing contest?
Posted: Thursday, March 24, 2011 4:27:22 PM
Rate this:

About StageofLife.comAbout Us:  StageofLife.com is a free blogging and writing community for high school students that allows teens the opportunity to share their personal stories and essays in an online life journal via their free Stage of Life account.  Check out our national Teen Trend Reports, and make sure to explore the writing contests for high school students, inspirational videos for teens, statistics about students, quotes about high school, and other resources about High School here on StageofLife.com.  Register to start your free writing profile, share an essay about your life, and help us change the world, one story at a time.  If you are a teacher - review our Language Arts Teaching Resources.

Writing Contest Archive - Students

Writing Contests and Teen Trend Reports

StageofLife.com Student Writing Contests

Below you will find all of the monthly writing contests and teen trend reports from the last five years hosted by StageofLife.com.  Our dedication to digital literacy efforts have reached over 1,000,000 students and teachers in the last half decade, received mention on TIME.com, and features in the news.  Feel free to click through and read the top essay submissions from any given month.  StageofLife.com is honored to be one of the most-visited writing contests for students in the world.  We love working with you as we celebrate the journey as life-long readers and writers...

2016 Writing Contests

Writing Contest for High School Students

2015 Writing Contests

2014 Writing Contests

2013 Writing Contests

2012 Writing Contests

2011 Writing Contests

2010 Writing Contests

Stage of Life Mission Statement

Find Us on Facebook      Follow Us on Twitter     Read our Founder's Blog

StageofLife.com was launched in 2009 as the premier destination for people of all ages to find information, coupons, and stories about one of ten key stage of life transitions:  high school, college, on my own, wedding, married without children, having a baby, home ownership, parenting, grand parenting, and empty nest/retirement.  Nearly 1 million visitors come to the site each year to find information about their stage of life.  Stage of Life users (teens, college students, Millennials, Gen Y, Gen X, and Baby Boomers) can also share and archive their life stories via their Stage of Life profile page.  Specialized content includes statistics, quotes, videos, financial tips, coupons, news, writing contests, and more tailored to each of the 10 life stages featured.  My Life Rewards® is the free discount program for all Stage of Life users, readers and writers dedicated to providing printable coupons and coupon codes tailored towards each stage of life.

Terms of Service and Privacy