STAGE OF LIFE       Share Your Story       Coupons       Education Resources

Marriage: Key to Success!

luvsleepcandy

Trust me, I know what marriage is like. I’m fourteen and I’ve been married three times, twice in preschool and once to my stuffed dog. And even though it’s hardly the real thing, the little experience I gained led me to know it’s not easy. Even in preschool, it was difficult to get along with my first “husband”, and our arguments always consisted of me trying to persuade him to share his brownie with me and he would ask me to play Power Rangers. I couldn’t stand to be with him a moment longer and ended up “marrying” one of his best buddies. No matter what age, marriage brings the same root problem to all couples: commitment. Ever since I’ve been able to hold comprehensible conversations, my mom has drilled into my head: “Don’t ever rush into marriage. A good marriage ALWAYS needs a strong foundation, and it can’t be built entirely on love alone. Successful marriages can only happen when a couple is compatible; the husband and wife’s personalities balance each other out. Like you, for example, will have to marry someone patient or your hot head will scare them off even before the wedding.” I was hugely disappointed when my mother first told me this. I believed that if you found your one true love your life would turn into some sort of magic fairytale, and who was my mother to tell me otherwise? I remember being invited to the wedding of one of my mother’s friends, and how the whole thing was like a Disney movie, the bride and groom oozing love. And four years later, they were divorced, and I was left in a state of shock. So I gave marriage a lot of thought, and I came up with the resolution that my mom had been right. What good is love in a marriage if you’re going to just throw it away when you get tired of your spouse? In a marriage, the first few years can feel like floating. But suddenly, you start noticing little things that you haven’t before. Like the way your husband never remembers to close the toothpaste cap. Or how your wife is always reorganizing the house so you can never find anything. And soon, you’ll see that you’re no longer floating, but hovering shakily near the ground. And in a few more years, you’ll have crashed back onto earth. Marriage is likely to be one of the biggest risks you have to be willing to take during your existence. When you decide to spend your life with someone, you’re deciding to let them see all your flaws, annoying habits and the ugly side of yourself nobody else outside of family has ever seen before. But marriage is a promise that both sides have to make, a vow to stick together “for better, for worse, for richer, for poorer, and in sickness and health.” How much value does marriage have? Well, how much value are you willing to give it?
Rate this:
Comment by DarkStar49

Being married to the same wonderful woman for the past 16 years I feel that so much of what you pointed out is true. It is never easy and is often times give and take for both people. But like any house that is strong enough to withstand the greatest quakes....a strong and firm foundation is a must. I just think you served many good points in this essay. Great writing and wonderful perspective!
Posted: Sunday, March 20, 2011 5:38:59 AM
Rate this:
Comment by bugcandy

I wanted to let you know that your essay for our February writing contest about marriage was one of the finalists. Megan, our PR Coordinator, will be in touch with you (if she hasn't already) via email.

We'll be announcing the winner later today or tomorrow. I personally look forward to seeing more of your essays/writing on StageofLife.com.

Thanks for sharing your point of view with us!

Yours,

Eric
Presient & CEO, StageofLife.com

P.s. Did you enter the current student writing contest?
Posted: Thursday, March 24, 2011 4:28:44 PM
Rate this:

About StageofLife.comAbout Us:  StageofLife.com is a free blogging and writing community for high school students that allows teens the opportunity to share their personal stories and essays in an online life journal via their free Stage of Life account.  Check out our national Teen Trend Reports, and make sure to explore the writing contests for high school students, inspirational videos for teens, statistics about students, quotes about high school, and other resources about High School here on StageofLife.com.  Register to start your free writing profile, share an essay about your life, and help us change the world, one story at a time.  If you are a teacher - review our Language Arts Teaching Resources.

Writing Contest Archive - Students

Writing Contests and Teen Trend Reports

StageofLife.com Student Writing Contests

Below you will find all of the monthly writing contests and teen trend reports from the last five years hosted by StageofLife.com.  Our dedication to digital literacy efforts have reached over 1,000,000 students and teachers in the last half decade, received mention on TIME.com, and features in the news.  Feel free to click through and read the top essay submissions from any given month.  StageofLife.com is honored to be one of the most-visited writing contests for students in the world.  We love working with you as we celebrate the journey as life-long readers and writers...

2016 Writing Contests

Writing Contest for High School Students

2015 Writing Contests

2014 Writing Contests

2013 Writing Contests

2012 Writing Contests

2011 Writing Contests

2010 Writing Contests

Stage of Life Mission Statement

Find Us on Facebook      Follow Us on Twitter     Read our Founder's Blog

StageofLife.com was launched in 2009 as the premier destination for people of all ages to find information, coupons, and stories about one of ten key stage of life transitions:  high school, college, on my own, wedding, married without children, having a baby, home ownership, parenting, grand parenting, and empty nest/retirement.  Nearly 1 million visitors come to the site each year to find information about their stage of life.  Stage of Life users (teens, college students, Millennials, Gen Y, Gen X, and Baby Boomers) can also share and archive their life stories via their Stage of Life profile page.  Specialized content includes statistics, quotes, videos, financial tips, coupons, news, writing contests, and more tailored to each of the 10 life stages featured.  My Life Rewards® is the free discount program for all Stage of Life users, readers and writers dedicated to providing printable coupons and coupon codes tailored towards each stage of life.

Terms of Service and Privacy