Marriage: Key to Success!

luvsleepcandy

Trust me, I know what marriage is like. I’m fourteen and I’ve been married three times, twice in preschool and once to my stuffed dog. And even though it’s hardly the real thing, the little experience I gained led me to know it’s not easy. Even in preschool, it was difficult to get along with my first “husband”, and our arguments always consisted of me trying to persuade him to share his brownie with me and he would ask me to play Power Rangers. I couldn’t stand to be with him a moment longer and ended up “marrying” one of his best buddies. No matter what age, marriage brings the same root problem to all couples: commitment. Ever since I’ve been able to hold comprehensible conversations, my mom has drilled into my head: “Don’t ever rush into marriage. A good marriage ALWAYS needs a strong foundation, and it can’t be built entirely on love alone. Successful marriages can only happen when a couple is compatible; the husband and wife’s personalities balance each other out. Like you, for example, will have to marry someone patient or your hot head will scare them off even before the wedding.” I was hugely disappointed when my mother first told me this. I believed that if you found your one true love your life would turn into some sort of magic fairytale, and who was my mother to tell me otherwise? I remember being invited to the wedding of one of my mother’s friends, and how the whole thing was like a Disney movie, the bride and groom oozing love. And four years later, they were divorced, and I was left in a state of shock. So I gave marriage a lot of thought, and I came up with the resolution that my mom had been right. What good is love in a marriage if you’re going to just throw it away when you get tired of your spouse? In a marriage, the first few years can feel like floating. But suddenly, you start noticing little things that you haven’t before. Like the way your husband never remembers to close the toothpaste cap. Or how your wife is always reorganizing the house so you can never find anything. And soon, you’ll see that you’re no longer floating, but hovering shakily near the ground. And in a few more years, you’ll have crashed back onto earth. Marriage is likely to be one of the biggest risks you have to be willing to take during your existence. When you decide to spend your life with someone, you’re deciding to let them see all your flaws, annoying habits and the ugly side of yourself nobody else outside of family has ever seen before. But marriage is a promise that both sides have to make, a vow to stick together “for better, for worse, for richer, for poorer, and in sickness and health.” How much value does marriage have? Well, how much value are you willing to give it?

Being married to the same wonderful woman for the past 16 years I feel that so much of what you pointed out is true. It is never easy and is often times give and take for both people. But like any house that is strong enough to withstand the greatest quakes....a strong and firm foundation is a must. I just think you served many good points in this essay. Great writing and wonderful perspective!
Posted: Sunday, March 20, 2011 5:38:59 AM
Comment by bugcandy

I wanted to let you know that your essay for our February writing contest about marriage was one of the finalists. Megan, our PR Coordinator, will be in touch with you (if she hasn't already) via email.

We'll be announcing the winner later today or tomorrow. I personally look forward to seeing more of your essays/writing on StageofLife.com.

Thanks for sharing your point of view with us!

Yours,

Eric
Presient & CEO, StageofLife.com

P.s. Did you enter the current student writing contest?
Posted: Thursday, March 24, 2011 4:28:44 PM