STAGE OF LIFE       Share Your Story       Coupons       Education Resources

Marriage: It's for sum.

Delaney Kay
man + woman = happily ever after
man + man = happily ever after
woman + woman = happily ever after

If that's true (which I think it is) then...why would someone NEED to get married? Sure, those equations suggest a more-than-platonic relationship. Couldn't they be friendship though? Don't they just suggest mutual love? Friend love, pet love, family love, relationship love. Lots of love. That's what a person needs in life.

I love my work. I love my family and my friends and my kitten named Helga. And yes. I love my man-friend.

There have been times in my life (which is but a short 16 years) when I've thought to myself 'Married? Nope. Not happening. It's not for me. People who get married are crazy. Marriage is the number one cause of divorce. Marriage ruins a relationship' and then I have those sappy moments. I lay in bed and watch J. Lo movies. I watch her get swept off her feet by blonde doctors and that one other guy whose name I can never remember. Those are the moments when I allow myself to have this specific thought 'Maybe marriage is for me. Maybe it's what I want. Being able to have unconditional love, and being able to rely on this person'

It's hard to have so many conflicting thoughts.

This is how my thought process about marriage usually goes (and yes, in this EXACT order)

1.) I hate it. I don't want it.
2.) It could be nice. I'd like to be married
3.) Having a happy life isn't due to having a partner. It's about self-satisfaction, et cetera

and last, but not least

4.) Why do I need to choose now?

The last is the best out of the 4 choices. At least it is for me.

I'm 16 years old. I don't know where I'm going to college. I haven't even graduated high school. My mood, my style, my friends, my interests (love interests included!) change. It would be a lie to say I know exactly what I want in life.

Why focus on that NOW? I'm a believer in the whole "que sera, sera" thing. Whatever will be, will be.

I'm going to live my life and I'm going to be happy. I'm going to try and live my dream and work on things I like and spend my time with people who make me feel good.

One day, maybe I'll realize that I'm content and I don't need to be married for that to continue. Or maybe I'll figure out that being married is what's good for me.

Whatever it is, I'm not deciding now. I'm not even going to think about it now.

I'm going to go play a game of scrabble with my younger sister. THAT'S worth more my time.

The only advice I can give to you is: don't let preconceived notions about marriage or love get in the way. Make your own decision.

Go get 'em tiger.
Rate this:

About StageofLife.comAbout Us:  StageofLife.com is a free blogging and writing community for high school students that allows teens the opportunity to share their personal stories and essays in an online life journal via their free Stage of Life account.  Check out our national Teen Trend Reports, and make sure to explore the writing contests for high school students, inspirational videos for teens, statistics about students, quotes about high school, and other resources about High School here on StageofLife.com.  Register to start your free writing profile, share an essay about your life, and help us change the world, one story at a time.  If you are a teacher - review our Language Arts Teaching Resources.

Writing Contest Archive - Students

Writing Contests and Teen Trend Reports

StageofLife.com Student Writing Contests

Below you will find all of the monthly writing contests and teen trend reports from the last five years hosted by StageofLife.com.  Our dedication to digital literacy efforts have reached over 1,000,000 students and teachers in the last half decade, received mention on TIME.com, and features in the news.  Feel free to click through and read the top essay submissions from any given month.  StageofLife.com is honored to be one of the most-visited writing contests for students in the world.  We love working with you as we celebrate the journey as life-long readers and writers...

2016 Writing Contests

Writing Contest for High School Students

2015 Writing Contests

2014 Writing Contests

2013 Writing Contests

2012 Writing Contests

2011 Writing Contests

2010 Writing Contests

Stage of Life Mission Statement

Find Us on Facebook      Follow Us on Twitter     Read our Founder's Blog

StageofLife.com was launched in 2009 as the premier destination for people of all ages to find information, coupons, and stories about one of ten key stage of life transitions:  high school, college, on my own, wedding, married without children, having a baby, home ownership, parenting, grand parenting, and empty nest/retirement.  Nearly 1 million visitors come to the site each year to find information about their stage of life.  Stage of Life users (teens, college students, Millennials, Gen Y, Gen X, and Baby Boomers) can also share and archive their life stories via their Stage of Life profile page.  Specialized content includes statistics, quotes, videos, financial tips, coupons, news, writing contests, and more tailored to each of the 10 life stages featured.  My Life Rewards® is the free discount program for all Stage of Life users, readers and writers dedicated to providing printable coupons and coupon codes tailored towards each stage of life.

Terms of Service and Privacy