STAGE OF LIFE       Share Your Story       Coupons       Education Resources

Hot Dog Man

sullysolipsism
The hotdog man doesn’t know what he’s doing.

He stares at me when I place my order, and then looks up at his stand, all the little cubbyholes and pockets filled with ketchup and mustard and mayo and relish, like a skyscraper with too many windows. It’s the big kind of stand, where the vendor stands in front and not behind. His eyes are like an abused animal’s as he reaches indecisively towards a half-empty ketchup bottle, and then jerkily pulls his fingers back against the safety of his tattered Giants jacket.

The world is passing us by in a vague smudge of business suits and car exhaust and blaring bebop music, and he can’t choose which of the half-a-dozen ketchup bottles to use.

But I’m not in a rush.

I look at his teeth as he bites his lip uncertainly. The world could use more yellow: more sunshine, more lemon-drops, more daffodils. But not teeth. The world could use more yellow, but his teeth could use more Trident gum and Crest whitening strips. His ragged nails could use a manicure. His jaundiced skin could use a few days in a Swedish spa.

Drug-addict? Alcoholic? Homeless? Convict? All of the above?

The world is flurrying by in a biting New York wind that tastes like sulfur and snowflakes and cold November days and warm hot chocolate, and the hotdog man has taken thirty seconds to choose a bottle of ketchup.

I watch as orphaned leaves scamper wildly along the sidewalk cracks. They’ll never find their way home. Central Park is a long way off. I watch as, across the street, a light goes out in an apartment window. All that’s left is a gaping hole, a toothless mouth, in the wall of the apartment complex. I think someday the light is going to go out in the hotdog man’s mouth too, leaving nothing but pink gums and pink tongue. The door to the organic smoothie shop bumps open as a woman with her arms full rushes out. Full of what? I can’t see, but it’s brown and green and covered in tiny golden stars. I imagine I can hear the tinkle of the bell as the door swings shut, but I can’t. The hotdog stand is in front of an intersection, and a stampede of bellowing yellow taxis dominates the audio track. The world could use more yellow, but not teeth and taxis.

The world is shuffling by in blunted stilettos and 50% off Nike sneakers and boxy leather Oxfords, and the hotdog man is indecisive. He’s forgotten my order. I can tell. But he doesn’t want to ask again, so he stews in his own discomfort. If the world were a stew, he would be the carrots and celery and I would be the meat and potatoes. Him in his tattered Giants jacket, and me in my slick business suit.

He squirts a dotted yellow dividing line of mustard down the hotdog’s swollen body. Good . . . good . . . good . . . too much. A glob like a fat slug slides down the curving, sweaty slope and nestles against the bun. Kisses the bun, like the two men kissing in the shadow of the hotdog stand.

The world could use more yellow, but not teeth and taxis and mustard. I’ve decided that the world has just enough yellow as it is. And the hotdog man? Well, he doesn’t know what he’s doing. He hands me my hotdog. Too much mustard. Not enough ketchup. No relish.

I thank him and pay him and leave.

And he shows me his teeth in a sunshine smile.

This is a work of fiction.
Rate this:
Comment by pgarbero

You are a very good fiction writer. You should try to submit some of your work to literary magazines. It would look great on a college resume being a published writer.

Some good magazines to submit to are:

http://thereader.org.uk/publications/the-reader/

http://www.fictioninc.com/submissions/

http://www.themysteryplace.com/ahmm/guidelines/

http://www.kenyonreview.org/

Good Luck!

Posted: Sunday, February 6, 2011 9:21:05 PM
Rate this:
Comment by sullysolipsism

Thanks so much! I've checked out all the sites you listed and they look great; I can't wait to try submitting (I've never really tried before . . . )!
Posted: Monday, February 7, 2011 3:25:22 PM
Rate this:
Comment by jenniferjoe213

I love this story, it's really funny. I love how you can turn something so ordinary and boring into something really clever and intresting! Favorite part was when you were talking about yellow and how we could use more sunshine expcept taxis and yellow teeth. I really enjoyed this story of the Hot Dog Man. This is true where you run into people who don't know what they are doing.
Posted: Tuesday, May 17, 2011 5:51:29 PM
Rate this:
Comment by mynameisASHley

Hey!! i was just wondering if you didnt mind helping me out with something. I have recently been added as a featured teen blogger. Now that i am one, what do i do?? I have no idea how to start my own blog!! I am so lost. I am still writing on stage of life, but I have no idea what to do to further myself as a teen blogger!! Thanks for your help!!
Posted: Thursday, July 28, 2011 6:07:06 PM
Rate this:

Hi, Ashley! I'm so sorry I didn't get back to you sooner! I've been vacationing around the country (and for three weeks out of the country!) practically all summer and I just now got your message. Hmmm . . . feature writing?

Honestly, the beauty of blogging is that you can write about whatever you feel like, and the beauty of Stage of Life is that you are speaking almost expressly to your own peers, people who understand and undergo the same things as you - in this case, fellow teenagers. I like to write about "big" things, per se, or things that are happening to almost everyone at a given time. For example, back-to-school or prom or parent trouble. But you could also choose to delve into specifics. Or you could tie in your blog to the current Stage of Life High School contest, which I feel can lend a cohesiveness to the website: wherever the visitor clicks s/he can see the same theme building every month.

I'm sure you'll do great and I can't wait to read your blogs! I hope I was able to help, and hit me up if you have any more questions. I think I'm a fairly new "featured writer" as well. What I personally do (and I don't recommend this at all), is I usually forget all about the blog (not intentionally) and then the day of or a day or two beforehand I suddenly remember that I need to write a blog and send it in to Eric/Megan ASAP.

Then I freak out and steal my mom's laptop and make myself sit still and just write for twenty minutes. I write the first thing that's on my mind, proof read, proof read again, and then send it in. I work best under pressure, but I think I need to set up some sort of schedule so I start thinking about my blog a week before it's due or something, you know? ;) Might make my life a little less hectic . . .

Anyway, figure out your own "thing." Again, I can't wait to read your blogs! :)
Posted: Sunday, August 7, 2011 12:05:47 AM
Rate this:

Thanks sooo much!! I'm kinda understanding this now!! Sorry. I didn't realize you had replied back on your blog, it never showed up in my email or anything!! Thanks again.. it was a big help!! By the way, I read your blog about your trip. It sounds like you had loads of fun!! My sister, 13, gets those letters all the time, but my parents just rip them up and throw them out. Okay, now to start my own blog.. all I do is go on blogspot.com and it's totally free and everything? That's the only part that I'm afraid of, I want to be an English teacher and I would like to start writing now, but I have no money to waste trying to make my own blog. Thanks!!

Posted: Sunday, August 7, 2011 12:58:53 PM
Rate this:

Yeah, BlogSpot is great. I think you need a Google email account, though. And just as a tip, for some reason they'll keep asking you for your phone number, but DON'T give it to them. I never entered a phone number and I'm fine. To be honest, I forget if I kept bypassing it or what, but I never gave a number and my BlogSpot is up and running just fine.

You'll make a great English teacher! I wish I had the patience to deal with kids all day. I give you props. ;)
Posted: Sunday, August 7, 2011 2:26:14 PM
Rate this:

Thanks soooo much!! This really helped!! And thanks, I'm the oldest of 6 so I'm used to alot if kids!
Posted: Thursday, August 11, 2011 1:54:41 PM
Rate this:
Comment by Guest

That's a sharp way of thninikg about it.
Posted: Monday, January 2, 2012 4:55:44 AM
Rate this:

About StageofLife.comAbout Us:  StageofLife.com is a free blogging and writing community for high school students that allows teens the opportunity to share their personal stories and essays in an online life journal via their free Stage of Life account.  Check out our national Teen Trend Reports, and make sure to explore the writing contests for high school students, inspirational videos for teens, statistics about students, quotes about high school, and other resources about High School here on StageofLife.com.  Register to start your free writing profile, share an essay about your life, and help us change the world, one story at a time.  If you are a teacher - review our Language Arts Teaching Resources.

Writing Contest Archive - Students

Writing Contests and Teen Trend Reports

StageofLife.com Student Writing Contests

Below you will find all of the monthly writing contests and teen trend reports from the last five years hosted by StageofLife.com.  Our dedication to digital literacy efforts have reached over 1,000,000 students and teachers in the last half decade, received mention on TIME.com, and features in the news.  Feel free to click through and read the top essay submissions from any given month.  StageofLife.com is honored to be one of the most-visited writing contests for students in the world.  We love working with you as we celebrate the journey as life-long readers and writers...

2016 Writing Contests

Writing Contest for High School Students

2015 Writing Contests

2014 Writing Contests

2013 Writing Contests

2012 Writing Contests

2011 Writing Contests

2010 Writing Contests

Stage of Life Mission Statement

Find Us on Facebook      Follow Us on Twitter     Read our Founder's Blog

StageofLife.com was launched in 2009 as the premier destination for people of all ages to find information, coupons, and stories about one of ten key stage of life transitions:  high school, college, on my own, wedding, married without children, having a baby, home ownership, parenting, grand parenting, and empty nest/retirement.  Nearly 1 million visitors come to the site each year to find information about their stage of life.  Stage of Life users (teens, college students, Millennials, Gen Y, Gen X, and Baby Boomers) can also share and archive their life stories via their Stage of Life profile page.  Specialized content includes statistics, quotes, videos, financial tips, coupons, news, writing contests, and more tailored to each of the 10 life stages featured.  My Life Rewards® is the free discount program for all Stage of Life users, readers and writers dedicated to providing printable coupons and coupon codes tailored towards each stage of life.

Terms of Service and Privacy