STAGE OF LIFE       Share Your Story       Coupons       Education Resources

The Secret of Happiness: Mastering the Art of Helping

MJistheGOAT
Before my brother Eric was hit with depression, he was a 10th grader with a high GPA and overflowing confidence about the future. Gradually I saw his signature smile fading away and being replaced by reticence and resentment. Along with his nose-diving grades was his alienation from his friends and his hostility toward me. Within months he turned from a caring elder brother to a cold stranger. He built a wall around him that completely separated the two of us.

Things got worse when anxiety followed after depression. Eric became increasingly aggressive. My violin became the first target of his anger venting. After smashing my violin, my calculator and my laptop, he turned his anger towards me. I endured his shoves and tolerated the books and plastic water bottles thrown at me. His angry bursts escalated on December 31, 2012 when he pushed me down on the floor and tromped on my chest. I ended up spending the New Year’s Eve of 2013 in urgent care.

For a while, I hated my brother and wanted to retaliate. Even when medicine eventually restored his brain chemical balance and eliminated the physical pain associated with his anxiety, the emotional pain lingered on. His irrational behavior basically drove away all his friends including me.

Finally, my desire for revenge was overpowered by my compassion for my brother’s suffering. I decided to do something to change the situation. I tried to talk to him and ask him to join my activities, but he refused and kept his silence. He had his feelings bottled up and kept his pain to himself. One day when a friend of mine asked about my Facebook account, I thought about an idea to help my brother.

I registered an account with the name John Smith, and requested to be friends with Eric on Facebook. After he reluctantly accepted the request, I started to talk to him about his favorite topic – basketball. Day after day, he gradually opened up and talked more and more. He still kept a stern face to me at home, but he said to John Smith on Facebook: “I don’t have any friends except you. I can’t even talk to my brother, but I can talk to you. Weird.”

When he was gradually coming back to normal, one of his friends asked him on Facebook, “Who is John Smith?” Eric replied, “John Smith is my best friend!”

You can imagine the astonishing face when Eric found out that John Smith was actually me. John Smith has come a long way in restoring happiness to both Eric and me. Today John Smith still has his Facebook account and has become our secret weapon of fighting off stress and bringing in laughter. John Smith doesn’t talk as much as before, but we enjoy his company and understand him fully - even a smallest gesture of his can bring smiles to Eric and me.
Rate this:

About StageofLife.comAbout Us:  StageofLife.com is a free blogging and writing community for high school students that allows teens the opportunity to share their personal stories and essays in an online life journal via their free Stage of Life account.  Check out our national Teen Trend Reports, and make sure to explore the writing contests for high school students, inspirational videos for teens, statistics about students, quotes about high school, and other resources about High School here on StageofLife.com.  Register to start your free writing profile, share an essay about your life, and help us change the world, one story at a time.  If you are a teacher - review our Language Arts Teaching Resources.

Writing Contest Archive - Students

Writing Contests and Teen Trend Reports

StageofLife.com Student Writing Contests

Below you will find all of the monthly writing contests and teen trend reports from the last five years hosted by StageofLife.com.  Our dedication to digital literacy efforts have reached over 1,000,000 students and teachers in the last half decade, received mention on TIME.com, and features in the news.  Feel free to click through and read the top essay submissions from any given month.  StageofLife.com is honored to be one of the most-visited writing contests for students in the world.  We love working with you as we celebrate the journey as life-long readers and writers...

2016 Writing Contests

Writing Contest for High School Students

2015 Writing Contests

2014 Writing Contests

2013 Writing Contests

2012 Writing Contests

2011 Writing Contests

2010 Writing Contests

Stage of Life Mission Statement

Find Us on Facebook      Follow Us on Twitter     Read our Founder's Blog

StageofLife.com was launched in 2009 as the premier destination for people of all ages to find information, coupons, and stories about one of ten key stage of life transitions:  high school, college, on my own, wedding, married without children, having a baby, home ownership, parenting, grand parenting, and empty nest/retirement.  Nearly 1 million visitors come to the site each year to find information about their stage of life.  Stage of Life users (teens, college students, Millennials, Gen Y, Gen X, and Baby Boomers) can also share and archive their life stories via their Stage of Life profile page.  Specialized content includes statistics, quotes, videos, financial tips, coupons, news, writing contests, and more tailored to each of the 10 life stages featured.  My Life Rewards® is the free discount program for all Stage of Life users, readers and writers dedicated to providing printable coupons and coupon codes tailored towards each stage of life.

Terms of Service and Privacy