The Secret to Happiness- Acceptance

nivedita
When I was ten, pretty was all I wanted to be, like one of those Vogue stars- tall, skinny and flawless, undeniably. When I was thirteen, I hated mirrors for it was a shame, what I grew up to be. As time passed by, I realized, the judgments weren't worth it, the stereotypes weren't worth it, I was.

In a world so huge, so vast, so wonderful as this, why is it that we forget to live, to laugh? Why is it that we try so hard despite knowing that we're all beautiful in the most unique and fascinating ways. There is so much to learn, experience, oceans to cross, mountains to climb and all of the realm to love and yet we blanket ourselves in all the things we'd never be. All our life we have been molded into the person others want to see. The girl with the perfect body, the guy with the impeccable scores, the person the society can hold high like a trophy to be treasured- anybody but ourselves. Happiness begins the day we set ourselves free, the day we learn to accept ourselves for what we are, from every single pound to our bare sparkling soul.

You don't have to run the miserable rat race to be the best. After all 'best' in itself is a concept so surreal. There is always going to be someone better than you, in thoughts and actions, and so all you have to do is be. Be your carefree, wild and absolutely flawed self, and I hope, along this journey of believing and loving, you realise that this is where happiness lies- in the heart of a beautifully imperfect you.