STAGE OF LIFE       Share Your Story       Coupons       Education Resources

The Secret of Happiness: Philanthropy

itznavya
The Secret of Happiness: Philanthropy

What is Happiness? If you look up the word 'happiness' in a dictionary, you will see that it refers to a state of pleasure. But if you ask different people what happiness means to them, you will probably get antithetical answers. For a farmer, happiness is having a good monsoon and harvesting season. For parents, happiness is seeing their child's triumph. But for me, happiness is something else entirely. For me, happiness is philanthropy.

As a teenager who has lived a majority of her life in India, I have, until now, seen the world through a pessimistic gaze. The underdeveloped roads, a deficiency of traffic sense, the cacophony on the news and the atmosphere of poverty had certainly made a dent on me.

When I heard about Teach For India, a non-profit organization that strives to provide an education to every single child in this country, something inside of me snapped. I don't know what it was but it made me want to make a change. I realized that there is absolutely no point in criticizing the country. If I wanted to make India a better place then I would have to work for it. The determination to change my surroundings for the better occupies a great place in my heart. And that determination is what made me enroll with Teach For India as an intern. And looking back now, I can definitely say that I made the right decision.

Working with children who have the determination to get an excellent education but lack the means to do so has completely changed my thinking. I have begun to see light in even the darkest of places and my previous pessimistic gaze has turned into an optimistic one. While teaching a class full of sanguine and energy filled students, a change in me was ineludible. Seeing the exhilaration on the faces of the children when they understand what is being taught, seeing the euphoria on their faces while they play a game of cricket irrefutably brings a smile to my face. The opportunity to work for my country creates a certain contentment in me that can never be created by something else.

But one thing that completely astounded me was the metamorphosis philanthropy brought on me. A couple of days ago, as I was driving down the streets of Mumbai, I passed something that made me perceive the change in me. I passed Dharavi, one of the largest slums in the world. Had I had seen this ghetto three months ago, I wouldn't hesitate to condemn the state of my country. But this time, not a single word left my mouth. There was just a surge of determination pulsing through my veins. The determination to make Dharavi a better place. And that's when I knew the significance of philanthropy to me. That is exactly when I knew the the secret of my happiness is philanthropy.
Rate this:
Comment by thiegsr

On behalf of the entire StageofLife.com editorial board, I would like to congratulate you for your Secret of Happiness essay being chosen as our 3rd place essay for the April / May 2016 teen writing competition. Be proud of your accomplishment!

We want to apologize for our long delay in getting the results as we are in the process of a stageoflife.com evolution. This is our final writing contest, and we wanted to be certain that we chose the best essays for the last hoorah of our writing contest project.

We hope to post and update the winner's page with all the back dated essay winners by the end of October (again we apologize for the delay):
http://www.stageoflife.com/Writing_Contests/WritingContestWinners.aspx

Thanks for adding your voice to our mission “Changing the World . . . One Story at a Time” and feel free to share your accomplishment.

Sincerely,
Rebecca Thiegs
StageofLife.com Co-Founder and Education Consultant
Posted: Friday, September 23, 2016 7:43:12 PM
Rate this:
Comment by christineglenn

That's a great inspirational post! Currently, I'm in India as well and researching philanthropy. I guess this information will help me with my research paper and adds the layer of authenticity to it.
Posted: Monday, July 31, 2017 3:33:18 PM
Rate this:
Comment by MatthewsGeorge

I think we have to be thankful. We've already have a lot but some one don't have anything. My friend worried about his assignment because he even don't know how much is 500 words essay. But today there are so many services and people who can and want help you.
Posted: Friday, August 31, 2018 11:47:01 AM
Rate this:

About StageofLife.comAbout Us:  StageofLife.com is a free blogging and writing community for high school students that allows teens the opportunity to share their personal stories and essays in an online life journal via their free Stage of Life account.  Check out our national Teen Trend Reports, and make sure to explore the writing contests for high school students, inspirational videos for teens, statistics about students, quotes about high school, and other resources about High School here on StageofLife.com.  Register to start your free writing profile, share an essay about your life, and help us change the world, one story at a time.  If you are a teacher - review our Language Arts Teaching Resources.

Writing Contest Archive - Students

Writing Contests and Teen Trend Reports

StageofLife.com Student Writing Contests

Below you will find all of the monthly writing contests and teen trend reports from the last five years hosted by StageofLife.com.  Our dedication to digital literacy efforts have reached over 1,000,000 students and teachers in the last half decade, received mention on TIME.com, and features in the news.  Feel free to click through and read the top essay submissions from any given month.  StageofLife.com is honored to be one of the most-visited writing contests for students in the world.  We love working with you as we celebrate the journey as life-long readers and writers...

2016 Writing Contests

Writing Contest for High School Students

2015 Writing Contests

2014 Writing Contests

2013 Writing Contests

2012 Writing Contests

2011 Writing Contests

2010 Writing Contests

Stage of Life Mission Statement

Find Us on Facebook      Follow Us on Twitter     Read our Founder's Blog

StageofLife.com was launched in 2009 as the premier destination for people of all ages to find information, coupons, and stories about one of ten key stage of life transitions:  high school, college, on my own, wedding, married without children, having a baby, home ownership, parenting, grand parenting, and empty nest/retirement.  Nearly 1 million visitors come to the site each year to find information about their stage of life.  Stage of Life users (teens, college students, Millennials, Gen Y, Gen X, and Baby Boomers) can also share and archive their life stories via their Stage of Life profile page.  Specialized content includes statistics, quotes, videos, financial tips, coupons, news, writing contests, and more tailored to each of the 10 life stages featured.  My Life Rewards® is the free discount program for all Stage of Life users, readers and writers dedicated to providing printable coupons and coupon codes tailored towards each stage of life.

Terms of Service and Privacy