The Secret to Happiness: You

harrocks1
The secret to happiness is you. Don’t roll your eyes, it’s true. Just as you control what you eat or what you wear, you control your feelings too. In other words, don’t be the “half-empty” person or the George R. R. Martin who kills all their characters. By being the person who sees everything as tragedy, are you even providing yourself with a positive option? Instead, be the one who is half-full, the John Green, if you will. One who can make you cry, yet more often, make you laugh, out loud. One who makes you realize that life is meant to be lived to the fullest and to seize the moment.

The beginning of my story, is surprisingly, not so happy. To begin, my alarm clock did not go off. From there, logic dictated it would be a bad day. The milk was spoiled, the subway was late, and to top it all off, it was raining. And, my umbrella broke. Imagine this: a girl, dripping hair, mascara streaks along her face, running across the busy avenues of New York City with a gigantic backpack weighing her down. Needless to say, a negative outlook took hold of my thoughts.

When I finally got to school, nearly late, I dejectedly walked into health class. My teacher was teaching us about stress (pretty ironic when he is a teacher at one of the most competitive high schools in New York City). He made a joke, or at least tried, and although it was corny, I could not help but smile. Most people groaned, yet on this bad morning I understood. I understood that it was my own perspective that was controlling my thoughts and emotions. I needed to change my view and see the happiness that was right in front of me. I tried to maintain my angered exterior yet soon it became clear. Life is too short to be upset due to minor events; events with no long-lasting impact. Happiness becomes finding the small joys each and every day, and savoring them. The idea of my story then becomes choice. Choosing to cry or choosing to smile. There is endless happiness in the world and it is solely up to you, and each individual person to achieve happiness. Regardless of what anyone tells you, happiness is up to you and whether you are willing or not. As said by the Persian philosopher and poet, Omar Khayyam. “Be happy for this moment. This moment is your life.”