Secret of Happiness: Finding Wonder

SandraC
Happiness comes easiest to a child.

Most of their desires are simple: an ice cream cone with chocolate sprinkles, a sheet of paper and an array of colors to draw with, or even a hug from their parents on a dim day.

But perhaps the reason children are more frequently happier than adults is because they’re young. Their minds are fresh, fragile, easily impressionable, and, most importantly, full of wonder.

A child is happy because they can find wonder in anything: among a single flower surrounded by tall blades of grass in the soccer field, curved in between the rays of the ocean’s sunset, or even in the warm glow of the chatter from the dinner table at supper.

They see the world as it is in its barest form: wonder hidden in every nook and corner.

But, as we grow up, we get prideful. We think we’ve seen everything there is to be seen about them—that they’ve become boring. We begin to ignore those “small things”: that field of daisies, the song of birds, or the sound of rain. We become confident that they’ll always exist for us—that we’ll never lose them.

Their availability has made their existence less important. We forget the happiness we get from the “small things” that make us happy.

However, those “small things” no longer seem small when you realize that a world without them would send your heart spiraling downwards. Not getting into my dream school would make me upset, but the thought of no longer being able to see the capricious, floating clouds would be heart shattering. In the same way, being able to win the lottery would make me really happy, but hearing the symphony of cricket chirps and a running river would make my heart ecstatic.

When we grow, a lot of us start to aim at things higher and more out of reach. But, by looking upwards we can’t see what lies directly in front of us.

We forget that happiness can be found at the small stretch of a hand. We no longer stare at the sky moments before dawn in an effort to catch the rays of the rising sun. We no longer stand at the beach to hear the crashes of sea foam waves. We no longer stop by a grass field to search and wait for fireflies to light the dark.

We were born into this world to find happiness, and though that may lie behind lottery tickets or in gift boxes, they can also lie among the stars on a cloudless night or be hidden in the dandelions among the field.