The Secret of Happiness: Finding Family

William Tam
The secret to happiness is to find family. Family doesn't mean your relatives, and it isn't determined by genes, DNA, or any high school biology term. Blood and genetics determine your relatives, family is determined by love. As cheesy as it may sound, it’s the truth.

There is no correct answer to the question "what's the opposite of happiness?" However, I believe the opposite is loneliness. Some may say the opposite is sadness, anger, or negativity. Even though these things are definitely not happiness, I believe that they are all caused by some form of loneliness.

Six years ago, when I was nine, I lost the one person that I could call family, my sister. After I lost Grace, I made the biggest mistake of my life: thinking I could survive on my own. This led me to go through dark times. I struggled with loneliness for many years, leading to feelings of sadness, negativity, and anger that still haunt me to this day.

Elementary school was when I was the farthest away from being happy. However, when I got into middle school, I was able to have a fresh start. In middle school I opened up more and tried to make friends. Through opening up to others, I was able to find others I could call family, people that I still love to this day. I was able to find happiness that I had not felt in years!

When I am by myself I still feel lonely, and I still have dark thoughts. However, unlike before, I have a family. I have a family that I can talk to, one that I can love, and one that I can be be happy around. Without my family I would still be the old me, completely lonely.

For those struggling with happiness, don't put the weight of the world on your shoulders, don’t be a lone wolf, don’t hide your burdens thinking that you need to deal with them on your own, doing these will make your life worse. If you’re struggling with happiness, open up, talk to others, make friends, and find the family that you can love. When you are with your family you can truly be happy.