The Secret to Happiness: Being a Little Selfish

bzahm
When most people think of happiness; they think of optimism, love, altruism, and acceptance. Of course, these are all contributing factors to living a happy and generally good life. Giving and loving and being selfless are things that we all need; but the true key that unlocks happiness is not always doing everything you can for others; but doing everything you possibly can for yourself once in a while, too. If are not able to take care of yourself and ensure your happiness; in the end, you won’t truly feel complete and content.
When I was in grade seven; I had a best friend who struggled with anxiety, and occasionally, depression. Every single day, I would worry about her and feel the need to dote on her at school, and call her as soon as I got home. When I look back, I see that I may have spent too much time ensuring her well being, instead of ensuring mine, as well. Of course, I don’t regret helping her when she needed me, and making sure she was okay; but what I realized, is that helping her so much to an unnecessary point affected me negatively. I spent so much time on her that I eventually felt drained, and constantly tired; because I wasn’t able to give myself the attention I needed. Honestly; it was like pouring water into a pot that had a hole in the bottom, and my energy level and happiness kept running out.
In the end, you need to be your own best friend and fix yourself before you go on to fix other people. Whether it be treating yourself to a spa day, new clothes, or double chocolate fudge brownies; a little selfishness and self love never hurt anybody. If you want to help others and be happy and whole, you need to help yourself.