The Secret of Happiness is Yourself

Halee Harder
The secret to happiness is yourself. You can be happy only if you let yourself be happy. Yes, your happiness can be through sports, family, activities that you do, etc. but you have to enjoy those things.

We as human beings tend to hold on to the bad memories and that can result in unhappiness. You can't be forced to like something. Think about what makes you happy. Now take that and think about if you didn't have it anymore. Would you be happy? You are the only one that gets to decide that fate.

A lot of the people in this universe will live a life unhappy because they won't admit to themselves that they aren't happy. We find ourselves imagining happiness and what we can do to find it but, in reality, we never actually go out and find it. Somebody once said “Whatever you decide to do, make sure it makes you happy.” Basically, this is saying that what you want to do in life to make you happy will only be decided by you.

Life gives you two different paths. You can go down the path of happiness or you can go down the path that isn't so happy. However, whatever path you go down is because you decide to go down it. We hear people say that they are unhappy about something and ninety-nine percent of the time they don't do anything about it. I'm not saying that you shouldn't be unhappy about things, but don't always be unhappy. We, as human beings, only have one life that we get to live and we have to decide if that life is going to be pleasant or full of regret.

People always say that happiness comes from doing something you love and that is true; however you find happiness only within yourself. For example, think about a time that you were at your happiest. Now if you told anyone else that story, would it make them happy too? What I'm trying to say is that you can't make someone be happy. You can try to but it won't always work out in your favor. Therefore, the secret to happiness is through yourself. You are the only person that gets to decide your happiness.