The Secret of Happiness-Stay optimistic

Mickey Lo
Have you ever expected others to achieve something but they disappointed you? You may possibly get angry and frustrated because of this. But why are we upset about the what we do not have instead of appreciating what we have? I used to feel frustrated on which I didn’t achieve but something changed my point of view recently.
I used to think scoring high marks make me the happiest. To strike for the best, I do most of the things whenever there is group project as others’ work is not good enough compared to mine. Last month, two group projects were due at the same week. I had no choice but distributed jobs to my fellow classmates. Under no circumstance should they make any mistakes as I had already told them every detail need to pay attention with, for instance, the format, the description and vocab use. After a week of effort, I finally finished one of the projects and my part. They are so superb that I would even call them my masterpieces but I cracked up when I received their works.
Their works are catastrophes. I was so pissed that I shouted at them and ran away. At that time, the only things on my mind was why can’t they do it as splendid as mine and why are they making these kinds of mistakes. A friend of mine came by and gave me a book about Seneca with a memo inside. That page is about angry, expectations and happiness. The first thing that come into my mind is that the reason why I am mad. It is because I expected too much from them. I could use another perspective and everything is more positive. They may have already tried their best. Suddenly, I felt delighted when I appreciate what they have done instead of what they have not. I can see how much effort they have paid in order to improve the quality. It made me happier than having a perfect work done. Then, I walked back to the classroom and communicated with my groupmates. Everything is fine at the end as we understood each other’s feeling and enjoy the process of correcting mistakes together. I am very proud of my classmates and I found this ‘secret of happiness’, stay optimistic and take it easy. Appreciating what we have instead of what we have not.
Optimistic leads to understanding and joy. Since then, my life is full of happiness. When we expect a lot and the result is not that favourable, we get dejected and irritated. So why are we expecting much? Also, we will be more elated if we are content. Seneca the Younger once said that, ’True happiness is to enjoy the present, without anxious dependence upon the future, not to amuse ourselves with either hopes or fears but to rest satisfied with what we have, which is sufficient, for he that is so wants nothing. A wise man is content with his lot, whatever it may be, without wishing for what he has not.’ I found that treating things with a positive perspective make me the happiest so my secret of happiness is to stay optimistic and be contented with things we have.