STAGE OF LIFE       Share Your Story       Coupons       Education Resources

The Secret of Happiness-Stay optimistic

Mickey Lo
Have you ever expected others to achieve something but they disappointed you? You may possibly get angry and frustrated because of this. But why are we upset about the what we do not have instead of appreciating what we have? I used to feel frustrated on which I didn’t achieve but something changed my point of view recently.
I used to think scoring high marks make me the happiest. To strike for the best, I do most of the things whenever there is group project as others’ work is not good enough compared to mine. Last month, two group projects were due at the same week. I had no choice but distributed jobs to my fellow classmates. Under no circumstance should they make any mistakes as I had already told them every detail need to pay attention with, for instance, the format, the description and vocab use. After a week of effort, I finally finished one of the projects and my part. They are so superb that I would even call them my masterpieces but I cracked up when I received their works.
Their works are catastrophes. I was so pissed that I shouted at them and ran away. At that time, the only things on my mind was why can’t they do it as splendid as mine and why are they making these kinds of mistakes. A friend of mine came by and gave me a book about Seneca with a memo inside. That page is about angry, expectations and happiness. The first thing that come into my mind is that the reason why I am mad. It is because I expected too much from them. I could use another perspective and everything is more positive. They may have already tried their best. Suddenly, I felt delighted when I appreciate what they have done instead of what they have not. I can see how much effort they have paid in order to improve the quality. It made me happier than having a perfect work done. Then, I walked back to the classroom and communicated with my groupmates. Everything is fine at the end as we understood each other’s feeling and enjoy the process of correcting mistakes together. I am very proud of my classmates and I found this ‘secret of happiness’, stay optimistic and take it easy. Appreciating what we have instead of what we have not.
Optimistic leads to understanding and joy. Since then, my life is full of happiness. When we expect a lot and the result is not that favourable, we get dejected and irritated. So why are we expecting much? Also, we will be more elated if we are content. Seneca the Younger once said that, ’True happiness is to enjoy the present, without anxious dependence upon the future, not to amuse ourselves with either hopes or fears but to rest satisfied with what we have, which is sufficient, for he that is so wants nothing. A wise man is content with his lot, whatever it may be, without wishing for what he has not.’ I found that treating things with a positive perspective make me the happiest so my secret of happiness is to stay optimistic and be contented with things we have.
Rate this:

About StageofLife.comAbout Us:  StageofLife.com is a free blogging and writing community for high school students that allows teens the opportunity to share their personal stories and essays in an online life journal via their free Stage of Life account.  Check out our national Teen Trend Reports, and make sure to explore the writing contests for high school students, inspirational videos for teens, statistics about students, quotes about high school, and other resources about High School here on StageofLife.com.  Register to start your free writing profile, share an essay about your life, and help us change the world, one story at a time.  If you are a teacher - review our Language Arts Teaching Resources.

Writing Contest Archive - Students

Writing Contests and Teen Trend Reports

StageofLife.com Student Writing Contests

Below you will find all of the monthly writing contests and teen trend reports from the last five years hosted by StageofLife.com.  Our dedication to digital literacy efforts have reached over 1,000,000 students and teachers in the last half decade, received mention on TIME.com, and features in the news.  Feel free to click through and read the top essay submissions from any given month.  StageofLife.com is honored to be one of the most-visited writing contests for students in the world.  We love working with you as we celebrate the journey as life-long readers and writers...

2016 Writing Contests

Writing Contest for High School Students

2015 Writing Contests

2014 Writing Contests

2013 Writing Contests

2012 Writing Contests

2011 Writing Contests

2010 Writing Contests

Stage of Life Mission Statement

Find Us on Facebook      Follow Us on Twitter     Read our Founder's Blog

StageofLife.com was launched in 2009 as the premier destination for people of all ages to find information, coupons, and stories about one of ten key stage of life transitions:  high school, college, on my own, wedding, married without children, having a baby, home ownership, parenting, grand parenting, and empty nest/retirement.  Nearly 1 million visitors come to the site each year to find information about their stage of life.  Stage of Life users (teens, college students, Millennials, Gen Y, Gen X, and Baby Boomers) can also share and archive their life stories via their Stage of Life profile page.  Specialized content includes statistics, quotes, videos, financial tips, coupons, news, writing contests, and more tailored to each of the 10 life stages featured.  My Life Rewards® is the free discount program for all Stage of Life users, readers and writers dedicated to providing printable coupons and coupon codes tailored towards each stage of life.

Terms of Service and Privacy