The Secret of Happiness: Getting Lost

towardseden
There is a flicker of something raw, so real and pure. The tiny flame is relentless, and it explodes into a shower of fireworks. It is difficult to conceal and is manifested in a smile, one that tugs at your lips like a child who pulls at your arm and asks to play. It is invincible, and suddenly you are invincible as well, under a blanket of happiness.

The secret of happiness is elusive; specialists have authored countless books dedicated to finding it, scientists have published multitudes of studies claiming that that burst of absolute joy is attributed to certain actions, and professionals have risen to explain how bliss can be achieved. Countries have taken the title as the most happiest in the world, and the wealthy are fabled to hold a substantial stake in contentment. Can happiness be politicized and churned out from freedom and health care and social support? Can happiness be evoked from possessions and financial stability?

The specifics of attaining happiness is an enigma; nevertheless, we all wish to fall under the its spell. All of us are enchanted by its magic in unique ways. We all are individuals, and there are worlds within each of us. Galaxies are constantly forming in our minds and stars are incessantly born from nebulae. Infinite universes blossom. And like the unknown atoms and quarks that our physical universe are made of, our minds are spread across boundless fabrics with endless strings and unending strands. Our minds are a frontiers awaiting exploration, and our thoughts are pioneers that cross tumultuous terrain.

Getting lost in the vast unknown of who we are finding ourselves is happiness.

I thought it would be an immense challenge to be happy as I grew older. There was school and graded papers and teachers asking for certain answers and rankings that our futures depended upon. It was a convincing mirage. College, careers, economic success were keys to unlocking happiness. What I thought was happiness now was to be sacrificed for happiness in the future. I acquiesced to this ideal, so I considered myself to be satisfied and pleased. The little pieces that once came together to give me true happiness were shattered as preconceived notions exploded suns and compressed galaxies.

Was I happy?

There was so much to find and explore. I still didn’t know who I was yet. So one day, I unleashed my voyages, untied my sails, sliced the ropes that were binding me down, and unfurled my make-believe wings. I delved into myself, the planets and nebulas and comets and shimmering dust that swirled in my mind. Who was I? Who am I? I excavated a fragment of me that found happiness in reading and smelling pages of new, crisp books. I discovered shards of me that found happiness in sprinting to catch the subway with my friends on an adventure without an itinerary. Ultimately, I found happiness in getting lost.

I am still lost today.