STAGE OF LIFE       Share Your Story       Coupons       Education Resources

Secret of Happiness: True Inner Peace

Arishya_Aggarwal

Six months ago, if you asked me what is the secret of happiness, I would say money. Money bought me everything in order for me to be happy. What happened 6 months ago that changed me?

I live in the Beverly Hills of Manitoba. Since I am the only child, my dad tends to spoil me. Every year I get expensive gifts. This year on my birthday, I sat impatiently on my bed waiting for my dad to walk in through the door any minute with a present in his hands. The door knob turned and my father walked in with a smile on his face but his hands were empty. I stared at his hands blankly. He read my expression and asked me to follow him to the car. Hope arose in my heart. Maybe it was a gift too big to be put into a box. We started driving and arrived at a white building. I was sceptical. What kind a gift could be here? I saw people sitting in wheelchairs. Why did my dad bring me here? I saw wrinkles on their face, no energy in their body and sadness in their eyes. All their attention turned towards me. They slowly started walking towards me. One of them started talking to me and I felt so comfortable. I felt at home. I was so involved that I didn’t realize how much time had passed. The knowledge they had and the stories they told were just amazing. They had so much to tell. They were so happy and excited.Tears swelled in my eyes. I realized why my father brought me here. I was right. He gave me something that couldn't fit in a box. He gave me the love of grandparents. My real grandparents passed away before I was born so I never knew the love of a grandparent. I felt it now. True happiness didn't come from money. It came from helping someone to be happy and the feeling becomes mutual. The feeling came from within. I followed behind my father as I hugged and kissed my new grandparents. The next weekend, I visited them again and this time there was no hesitation. The old man in the wheelchair rushed towards me spinning his wheels as fast as he possibly could. The nurse said, they were so excited, they were counting the minutes. I felt such happiness and saw the same in their eyes. I felt sad too. They didn't deserve to be dumped by their children in a senior home. They were humans too and deserve love and affection like we do. Please, spend time with your parents because one day, when you look up from your phone, they won't be there anymore. I started a program where kids like me who do not have a grandparent, can "adopt" one. They come to visit them and write letters to each other. I felt at peace and was beyond happy. True happiness comes from inner peace.
Rate this:

About StageofLife.comAbout Us:  StageofLife.com is a free blogging and writing community for high school students that allows teens the opportunity to share their personal stories and essays in an online life journal via their free Stage of Life account.  Check out our national Teen Trend Reports, and make sure to explore the writing contests for high school students, inspirational videos for teens, statistics about students, quotes about high school, and other resources about High School here on StageofLife.com.  Register to start your free writing profile, share an essay about your life, and help us change the world, one story at a time.  If you are a teacher - review our Language Arts Teaching Resources.

Writing Contest Archive - Students

Writing Contests and Teen Trend Reports

StageofLife.com Student Writing Contests

Below you will find all of the monthly writing contests and teen trend reports from the last five years hosted by StageofLife.com.  Our dedication to digital literacy efforts have reached over 1,000,000 students and teachers in the last half decade, received mention on TIME.com, and features in the news.  Feel free to click through and read the top essay submissions from any given month.  StageofLife.com is honored to be one of the most-visited writing contests for students in the world.  We love working with you as we celebrate the journey as life-long readers and writers...

2016 Writing Contests

Writing Contest for High School Students

2015 Writing Contests

2014 Writing Contests

2013 Writing Contests

2012 Writing Contests

2011 Writing Contests

2010 Writing Contests

Stage of Life Mission Statement

Find Us on Facebook      Follow Us on Twitter     Read our Founder's Blog

StageofLife.com was launched in 2009 as the premier destination for people of all ages to find information, coupons, and stories about one of ten key stage of life transitions:  high school, college, on my own, wedding, married without children, having a baby, home ownership, parenting, grand parenting, and empty nest/retirement.  Nearly 1 million visitors come to the site each year to find information about their stage of life.  Stage of Life users (teens, college students, Millennials, Gen Y, Gen X, and Baby Boomers) can also share and archive their life stories via their Stage of Life profile page.  Specialized content includes statistics, quotes, videos, financial tips, coupons, news, writing contests, and more tailored to each of the 10 life stages featured.  My Life Rewards® is the free discount program for all Stage of Life users, readers and writers dedicated to providing printable coupons and coupon codes tailored towards each stage of life.

Terms of Service and Privacy