Secret of Happiness: True Inner Peace

Arishya_Aggarwal

Six months ago, if you asked me what is the secret of happiness, I would say money. Money bought me everything in order for me to be happy. What happened 6 months ago that changed me?

I live in the Beverly Hills of Manitoba. Since I am the only child, my dad tends to spoil me. Every year I get expensive gifts. This year on my birthday, I sat impatiently on my bed waiting for my dad to walk in through the door any minute with a present in his hands. The door knob turned and my father walked in with a smile on his face but his hands were empty. I stared at his hands blankly. He read my expression and asked me to follow him to the car. Hope arose in my heart. Maybe it was a gift too big to be put into a box. We started driving and arrived at a white building. I was sceptical. What kind a gift could be here? I saw people sitting in wheelchairs. Why did my dad bring me here? I saw wrinkles on their face, no energy in their body and sadness in their eyes. All their attention turned towards me. They slowly started walking towards me. One of them started talking to me and I felt so comfortable. I felt at home. I was so involved that I didn’t realize how much time had passed. The knowledge they had and the stories they told were just amazing. They had so much to tell. They were so happy and excited.Tears swelled in my eyes. I realized why my father brought me here. I was right. He gave me something that couldn't fit in a box. He gave me the love of grandparents. My real grandparents passed away before I was born so I never knew the love of a grandparent. I felt it now. True happiness didn't come from money. It came from helping someone to be happy and the feeling becomes mutual. The feeling came from within. I followed behind my father as I hugged and kissed my new grandparents. The next weekend, I visited them again and this time there was no hesitation. The old man in the wheelchair rushed towards me spinning his wheels as fast as he possibly could. The nurse said, they were so excited, they were counting the minutes. I felt such happiness and saw the same in their eyes. I felt sad too. They didn't deserve to be dumped by their children in a senior home. They were humans too and deserve love and affection like we do. Please, spend time with your parents because one day, when you look up from your phone, they won't be there anymore. I started a program where kids like me who do not have a grandparent, can "adopt" one. They come to visit them and write letters to each other. I felt at peace and was beyond happy. True happiness comes from inner peace.