STAGE OF LIFE       Share Your Story       Coupons       Education Resources

Marriage: No Way Jose

allierc688
When I hear the word marriage, the first thing that pops into my mind is an eternal bondage to a man, who may or may not be the so-called man of my dreams. Perhaps this is because I am young and inexperienced, but the idea of being obliged to one person for my entire life seems illogical and pointless.

Having two much older sisters, marriage is a topic that often pops up in family get-togethers. Then I am subject to endure the latest arguments over whether one boyfriend is better than another and choose between my eldest sister’s idea of “snow queen wedding” and my other sister’s dream to have a beachside wedding. Once, during Christmas break, one of my sisters began discussing what kind of engagement ring she would like to receive from her boyfriend. Then a huge squabbled ensued about whether or not my other sister would act as a “hint-giver” and supply information to my eldest sister’s boyfriend about what he should get for her. If a wedding should come to fruition, there are wedding halls to book, bridesmaids dresses to choose, wedding apparel to be rented, caterers to scout, guest lists to make and countless other minutiae. All this hassle for a wedding seems illogical to me.

Then comes the married life. There is a classic thought that a couple gets married and lives happily ever after in harmony for the rest of their life. I don’t buy that. There is another idea that a married couple becomes best friends who can count on each other in all times. I also don’t buy that. This might seem cynical of me, but considering that the divorce rate is between 41% to 50%, marriage doesn’t seem to be too sweet of an option. I admit there is a small percentile of people who do have the ideal marriage and are happy with each other, despite the fact that there must be some arguments. But what is the likelihood of being in such a relationship?

Another reason for my depressing view on what is considered a life-changing experience is because of the shackles placed upon a person after marriage. The female in a marriage may have to give up her job in order to care for the children. Husbands can essentially dominate over their wives and have much more control over them than before. Giving up so much freedom, does not seem ideal for someone like me, who values independence.

Ultimately, I don’t see what the benefits of getting married are and what the point of marriage is. Thus, for me, whenever anyone asks me whether I will get married when I grow older, the answer will always be “No way Jose!”
Rate this:
Comment by mcramer55

I enjoyed this very much.
Posted: Thursday, February 3, 2011 5:18:32 AM
Rate this:

About StageofLife.comAbout Us:  StageofLife.com is a free blogging and writing community for high school students that allows teens the opportunity to share their personal stories and essays in an online life journal via their free Stage of Life account.  Check out our national Teen Trend Reports, and make sure to explore the writing contests for high school students, inspirational videos for teens, statistics about students, quotes about high school, and other resources about High School here on StageofLife.com.  Register to start your free writing profile, share an essay about your life, and help us change the world, one story at a time.  If you are a teacher - review our Language Arts Teaching Resources.

Writing Contest Archive - Students

Writing Contests and Teen Trend Reports

StageofLife.com Student Writing Contests

Below you will find all of the monthly writing contests and teen trend reports from the last five years hosted by StageofLife.com.  Our dedication to digital literacy efforts have reached over 1,000,000 students and teachers in the last half decade, received mention on TIME.com, and features in the news.  Feel free to click through and read the top essay submissions from any given month.  StageofLife.com is honored to be one of the most-visited writing contests for students in the world.  We love working with you as we celebrate the journey as life-long readers and writers...

2016 Writing Contests

Writing Contest for High School Students

2015 Writing Contests

2014 Writing Contests

2013 Writing Contests

2012 Writing Contests

2011 Writing Contests

2010 Writing Contests

Stage of Life Mission Statement

Find Us on Facebook      Follow Us on Twitter     Read our Founder's Blog

StageofLife.com was launched in 2009 as the premier destination for people of all ages to find information, coupons, and stories about one of ten key stage of life transitions:  high school, college, on my own, wedding, married without children, having a baby, home ownership, parenting, grand parenting, and empty nest/retirement.  Nearly 1 million visitors come to the site each year to find information about their stage of life.  Stage of Life users (teens, college students, Millennials, Gen Y, Gen X, and Baby Boomers) can also share and archive their life stories via their Stage of Life profile page.  Specialized content includes statistics, quotes, videos, financial tips, coupons, news, writing contests, and more tailored to each of the 10 life stages featured.  My Life Rewards® is the free discount program for all Stage of Life users, readers and writers dedicated to providing printable coupons and coupon codes tailored towards each stage of life.

Terms of Service and Privacy