The Secret of Happiness: Enjoy Every Day Occurrences

hootpoot123
Every day, people search for ways to become happy. Some people turn to shopping, spend all their money on clothes that should make them happy, but wake up instead to find the sinking feeling that being broke leaves behind. Other people, attempting to strike it rich, turn to work.They bury their heads in piles of papers, trying to earn extra money, but all they receive is seclusion. After years of work, workaholics find themselves rich and friendless, as they discover that they have lost all of their relationships, which would have made them the richest of all. All people desire is happiness. Once people disregard their chances to be happy, people realize that happiness comes from the most simplistic events.

When I took Chemistry in high school, the class was dreadfully difficult. To a non-chemist, the subject matter was seemingly confusing and felt irrelevant to a prosperous and happy life. Despite this, as the school year continued, I came to particularly enjoy sophomore chemistry, because through the difficulty, I acquired a new friend. Some nights, out of the blue, my newly discovered Indian friend, Anirudh, would call me to ask about Chemistry problems at eleven-thirty at night. I chatted with him, and together, we solved Chemistry problems until one in the morning. Instead of dreading and despising Chemistry, I started to look forward to learning the subject, because I could communicate with my intelligent friend. When we figured out Chemistry together, it did not seem quite as daunting. Through Chemistry, I realized that any activity contains the power to be fun and enjoyable. Perhaps, Chemistry, in its own deceptive way, contained the secret of happiness. All people need to do is change their perspective. Instead of looking at the challenge presented by tasks on hand, the secret of happiness is recognizing the good that comes out of the challenges faced. For example, tasks can bring knowledge and new friends. Once people change their perspectives of activities, any task can bring joy. If people look for the bright side of every activity, they will ultimately discover happiness.

Despite what people believe, happiness does not usually come from expensive and shiny things. Most often, happiness comes from everyday tasks and activities available to ordinary people. Once people stop complaining about their tasks and stop focusing on the challenges, people are able to enjoy their opportunities to make new friends and bask in simple, child-like pleasures. Indeed, being able to appreciate every day occurrences is the greatest secret of happiness.