STAGE OF LIFE       Share Your Story       Coupons       Education Resources

Marriage: My Rules

ReadingKT
If I were ever to get married I have some rules that I must follow. As the child of a divorce I may seem cynical at times but that’s just the scar left behind from a bad marriage. I want to fall in love and live a fairytale life as much as the next girl (sometimes even more so) but I think before I act. And if someday I meet the guy of my dreams I need to have a serious discussion with myself about who this guy truly is and if I would want to spend my life with him. So here come the rules.

Is this guy up to my standards? I have pretty high standards at that. Explaining all my standards would be a whole new essay, so I wont go into that now. To steal my heart in the first place he must have worked really hard. But is he really the guy that I thought he was? Later on in life would he resort to violence or cheat on me? I need to closely examine this man, ask around a bit and figure out if he is really the guy for me.

So say he passes that test, but could I really stand living with him? Does he have any habits that would drive me insane if I were to live with him? I know they say that if you love a person then you can forgive their faults, but often the little annoyances are the ones that tear marriages apart.

Now I need to examine myself. Do I have any commitment issues with this man? Do I still need to date around and get some more experience? Often the other person isn’t the problem, you are often your own problem. People have issues that they don’t even know about and then they go off and get married and find out they weren’t really ready to be married in the first place. People can often be blinded by love. They get caught up in the romance of it all and make rash decisions.

If all these tests are passed I will get married. My reason for all these rules starts out in my childhood when in 6th grade my parents got divorced. It was a messy affair. My parents tried to hide it from me, but yelling in the middle of the night is something that you can’t hide. Soon after the divorce my dad got remarried. This was all very traumatic to an impressionable pre-teen. The only example of a healthy and loving marriage I have is of my grandparents. They love and respect each other and I hope someday I can be in a relationship like that. That is why before I get married I will test my future husband, and myself, because I want a relationship that doesn’t end in divorce. So my rules may seem silly to you, but to me they make perfect sense.
Rate this:
Comment by sullysolipsism

Hey, girl, you're doing better than me! I refuse to get married. Hope you find the man of your dreams!
Posted: Thursday, February 3, 2011 2:45:14 AM
Rate this:
Comment by Rooney J

I am still in excitement because I just found this place to communicate with people from all over the world. Oh, I am from China. Haha.
After reading your words, I want to express my sorrow first. It's not good to be a victim of divorce.
Yet I want to say, don't make yourself under much pressure.
You know, to be responsible to your marriage is a right choice, but don't be so hard on yourself and your future husband. One cannot get all he wants, and also, no one is really perfect. Love his excellence while tolerating his shortcomings.
At last, good wishes to you. Hope you find your true love of your dreams.
Posted: Thursday, February 3, 2011 11:09:06 AM
Rate this:
Comment by sullysolipsism

@Rooney J: Wow! You're from China?! How did your English get so good?
Posted: Thursday, February 3, 2011 10:03:05 PM
Rate this:
Comment by ReadingKT

Thanks for the advice :) that's really cool! Your from china!
Posted: Saturday, February 5, 2011 5:44:01 AM
Rate this:
Comment by kinzie52

duuuuuude great essayy!!!!
Posted: Thursday, March 17, 2011 4:41:31 AM
Rate this:
Comment by ogeewiz

It sounds like you've done some great thinking about what you need to be happy, and I'd encourage you to continue that. Marriage is give and take, but it's equally important to give to and take for ourselves. If you learn to trust yourself, you'll know what's right for you, and you'll know if you're not getting what you need. If you're willing to get help when you need it, and stay true to yourself, you'll be doing what you can to contribute to a successful marriage. I believe that increases your chances of having the marriage you want.
Posted: Friday, March 18, 2011 4:57:33 AM
Rate this:
Comment by bugcandy

I'm the CEO for StageofLife.com.

We wanted to let you know that out of scores of contest submissions, your essay for our February writing contest was one of the finalists. Congratulations! Megan, our PR Coordinator, will be in touch with you (if she hasn't already) via email.

FYI - we'll be announcing the winner later today or tomorrow.

I personally look forward to seeing more of your essays/writing on StageofLife.com.

Thanks for sharing your point of view with us!

Yours,

Eric

P.s. Did you enter the current student writing contest?
Posted: Thursday, March 24, 2011 4:23:04 PM
Rate this:

About StageofLife.comAbout Us:  StageofLife.com is a free blogging and writing community for high school students that allows teens the opportunity to share their personal stories and essays in an online life journal via their free Stage of Life account.  Check out our national Teen Trend Reports, and make sure to explore the writing contests for high school students, inspirational videos for teens, statistics about students, quotes about high school, and other resources about High School here on StageofLife.com.  Register to start your free writing profile, share an essay about your life, and help us change the world, one story at a time.  If you are a teacher - review our Language Arts Teaching Resources.

Writing Contest Archive - Students

Writing Contests and Teen Trend Reports

StageofLife.com Student Writing Contests

Below you will find all of the monthly writing contests and teen trend reports from the last five years hosted by StageofLife.com.  Our dedication to digital literacy efforts have reached over 1,000,000 students and teachers in the last half decade, received mention on TIME.com, and features in the news.  Feel free to click through and read the top essay submissions from any given month.  StageofLife.com is honored to be one of the most-visited writing contests for students in the world.  We love working with you as we celebrate the journey as life-long readers and writers...

2016 Writing Contests

Writing Contest for High School Students

2015 Writing Contests

2014 Writing Contests

2013 Writing Contests

2012 Writing Contests

2011 Writing Contests

2010 Writing Contests

Stage of Life Mission Statement

Find Us on Facebook      Follow Us on Twitter     Read our Founder's Blog

StageofLife.com was launched in 2009 as the premier destination for people of all ages to find information, coupons, and stories about one of ten key stage of life transitions:  high school, college, on my own, wedding, married without children, having a baby, home ownership, parenting, grand parenting, and empty nest/retirement.  Nearly 1 million visitors come to the site each year to find information about their stage of life.  Stage of Life users (teens, college students, Millennials, Gen Y, Gen X, and Baby Boomers) can also share and archive their life stories via their Stage of Life profile page.  Specialized content includes statistics, quotes, videos, financial tips, coupons, news, writing contests, and more tailored to each of the 10 life stages featured.  My Life Rewards® is the free discount program for all Stage of Life users, readers and writers dedicated to providing printable coupons and coupon codes tailored towards each stage of life.

Terms of Service and Privacy