The Secret of Happiness: Non-consumerism

zipziggy
Happiness is a strange thing to define. It is means different things to different people. The feeling of happiness is, as defined by Merriam-Webster’s collegiate dictionary, good fortune or as a state of wellbeing and contentment.
Having good fortune isn’t always true happiness. It is inbred in humans to always want more. We always want the newest iPhone, the most expensive car on the market, and we think that if we don’t get it, life isn’t worth living. We all have a wishlist consisting of things we want. But the question I ask you is this: once your wishlist is fulfilled, would you be satisfied or will you start a new wishlist?
Advertisers try their best to lure you to buy their products. They say, “Buy this, and this will give you happiness.” This is a lie that harks to the consumerism that is destroying our culture and our way of thinking.
According to the Bible (Philippians 4:4), the Apostle Paul seems to be very jovial as he writes “Rejoice in the Lord always. I will say it again, Rejoice!” However, he wrote his letter to the Philippians while in prison! So he would have had nothing. This truly confronts good fortune equaling true happiness as a lie.
In order to be happy during our earthly lives, we must abandon our consumerism. As the old saying goes, “Money can’t buy happiness.” “Do not lay up treasures upon earth where moth and rust destroy and where thieves break in and steal.”, according to Matthew 6:19. Whatever time you spend writing out your wishlists, spend it with the Lord instead.