STAGE OF LIFE       Share Your Story       Coupons       Education Resources

The Secret of Happiness: It Could Be Anything

ALovelyKay
We, human beings, are inquisitive by nature. If there is something out there that has yet to be discovered, we will not only discover it, but become an expert on the matter. Still, there is one mystery that has alluded us for ages, and will for all of eternity; the secret to happiness. Why is it that so many people are willing to spend their entire lives searching for a single well kept secret? Because it is one that we all desire to know, of course. Everyone dreams of being happy, but not everyone knows how to be. That is the exact dilemma that I personally face.

Like most people, there are things in my life that generally make me happy. Bright, warm, weather makes me happy. When it is nice outside, I feel that the day is bound to be wonderful. Eating junk food always lifts my mood. A bag of spicy chips can bring me joy unlike anything else- or at least that is what my taste buds would say if they could speak. Reading books lifts my spirits as well- getting lost in someone else’s adventure is an interesting way to kill time. Having little to no school work to complete especially makes me happy- everytime I start an assignment, I think of everything else that I could be doing instead. But as strange as it sounds, being happy is what makes me the happiest. Unfortunately, I don’t feel that way very often.

Which brings us back to my dilemma.

As easy as it would be to for me to dismiss the idea of happiness, and act as though we all writhe in misery on a regular basis, I could never bring myself to do that, because then I would be lying. The truth is, there are some very happy people among us in this world. When I say ‘happy people,’ I’m not referring to those who plaster on a faux smile everyday when in reality they wish they were dead, but those who are genuinely untroubled, upbeat, and positive. Those who love all that they come across, even if that love isn’t reciprocated. Those who are grateful for every second of the day, even the seconds that contain pain and hardship. Those who know that their own happiness has the potential to cheer up others, and allows it to. People like the aforementioned are a few far and between, but they certainly do exist. There is definitely a key to happiness, and millions of people have found it.

I, unfortunately, am not one of those people. To me, the key of happiness is something that we all must look deep within ourselves to find. Judging from my typical demeanor, it would seem that I have not been looking hard enough. But simply knowing that I have the opportunity to become one of these miraculous, passionate, jubilant people (just as long I never give up the search) makes me more than just happy- it keeps me alive.
Rate this:

About StageofLife.comAbout Us:  StageofLife.com is a free blogging and writing community for high school students that allows teens the opportunity to share their personal stories and essays in an online life journal via their free Stage of Life account.  Check out our national Teen Trend Reports, and make sure to explore the writing contests for high school students, inspirational videos for teens, statistics about students, quotes about high school, and other resources about High School here on StageofLife.com.  Register to start your free writing profile, share an essay about your life, and help us change the world, one story at a time.  If you are a teacher - review our Language Arts Teaching Resources.

Writing Contest Archive - Students

Writing Contests and Teen Trend Reports

StageofLife.com Student Writing Contests

Below you will find all of the monthly writing contests and teen trend reports from the last five years hosted by StageofLife.com.  Our dedication to digital literacy efforts have reached over 1,000,000 students and teachers in the last half decade, received mention on TIME.com, and features in the news.  Feel free to click through and read the top essay submissions from any given month.  StageofLife.com is honored to be one of the most-visited writing contests for students in the world.  We love working with you as we celebrate the journey as life-long readers and writers...

2016 Writing Contests

Writing Contest for High School Students

2015 Writing Contests

2014 Writing Contests

2013 Writing Contests

2012 Writing Contests

2011 Writing Contests

2010 Writing Contests

Stage of Life Mission Statement

Find Us on Facebook      Follow Us on Twitter     Read our Founder's Blog

StageofLife.com was launched in 2009 as the premier destination for people of all ages to find information, coupons, and stories about one of ten key stage of life transitions:  high school, college, on my own, wedding, married without children, having a baby, home ownership, parenting, grand parenting, and empty nest/retirement.  Nearly 1 million visitors come to the site each year to find information about their stage of life.  Stage of Life users (teens, college students, Millennials, Gen Y, Gen X, and Baby Boomers) can also share and archive their life stories via their Stage of Life profile page.  Specialized content includes statistics, quotes, videos, financial tips, coupons, news, writing contests, and more tailored to each of the 10 life stages featured.  My Life Rewards® is the free discount program for all Stage of Life users, readers and writers dedicated to providing printable coupons and coupon codes tailored towards each stage of life.

Terms of Service and Privacy