The Secret of Happiness: Youphoria

18klisse
Pizza with sausage, no matter how Charlie Brown may disagree, is not the secret of happiness. It’s a nice thought, sure, a simple (and delicious) solution for all of the world’s problems. But grabbing a slice or two from Luciani’s wouldn’t stop pain and sorrow from being felt. Of course, I cannot blame young Charles for his inaccuracy, as no child can or should comprehend the secret to achieving happiness -- that should happen naturally, instinctively. He was onto something, however; he just couldn’t put it into words. At his age, I couldn’t either. Though now I’ve come to realize that the secret to happiness is no secret, but the thing you’ve known all along: yourself.
That’s right. You hold the key to your own happiness, and it’s up to you to unlock the door. Obstacles may present themselves a hundred times over, as they seemed to for me, but they are really just opportunities to grow stronger in disguise.
For three years I suffered from the common diagnosis that is dissatisfaction. Wake up too early, worry about grades, finish homework, eat dinner, say I love you, go to bed too late, and do it all over again in seven hours. Thinking my life lacked substance, I berated myself into sadness, glared into the mirror and told myself I didn’t matter. Worst of all, I could feel the memory of happiness being slowly drained from my brain, dragging me deeper into an interminable dysphoria. Looking back, I see that this unhappiness prevailed only because I let it. I see that I was at the root of my own downfall, convinced that my life was fated to melancholy.
Boy, was I wrong.
Because when I came out of spinal fusion surgery at age fifteen, it was almost as if a switch had gone off. I think it was the presence of mortality that struck me, making me realize that there is no time for misery, or boredom, or even complacency. I needed to grab the rusty key from beneath the mat and enter into a new reality, into my new reality.
And now? Waking up early is the first step toward my bright future. Grades are goals, not detriments. Homework keeps the old noggin fresh, dessert follows dinner, family is everything, and the late hours incite creativity. I'll admit, reaching this mindset is a challenge. But I urge you keep searching for that key of yours, because life thereafter is so much simpler.
As Charlie would say, “Happiness is anyone and anything at all that's loved by you.” So perhaps the next time he gets a lousy rock on Halloween, he'll think of our little secret and smile at the sight of his brand new paperweight. I know I would.

On behalf of the entire StageofLife.com editorial board, I would like to congratulate you for your Secret of Happiness essay being chosen as one of our finalists in the running for 1st place for our April / May 2016 teen writing competition. Be proud of your accomplishment!

We are in the process of selecting our top three winners, and naming the 1st place winner from the narrowed field.

We will post all winning essay results by July 31st 2016. You can check this page for the results after July 31st:

Thanks for adding your voice to our mission “Changing the World . . . One Story at a Time” and feel free to share your accomplishment.

Posted: Wednesday, June 22, 2016 6:02:51 PM

On behalf of the entire StageofLife.com editorial board, I would like to congratulate you for your Secret of Happiness essay being chosen as our 1st place essay for the April / May 2016 teen writing competition. Be proud of your accomplishment!

We want to apologize for our long delay in getting the results as we are in the process of a stageoflife.com evolution. This is our final writing contest, and we wanted to be certain that we chose the best essay for the last hoorah of our writing contest project.

We will be contacting you with details about your prizes by the end of September.

We hope to post and update the winner's page with all the back dated essay winners by the end of October (again we apologize for the delay):

Posted: Friday, September 23, 2016 7:40:20 PM
Comment by rajasthancab

thank you very much for this post. Jaipur tour cabs | jaipur taxi services | Jaipur taxi services Jaipur, Rajasthan | jaipur trip | taxi service in jaipur for outstation | rajasthan tour cab in jaipur | rajasthan taxi service day tour It was nice reading your blog. Marvelous work!
Posted: Wednesday, August 14, 2019 6:34:24 AM