STAGE OF LIFE       Share Your Story       Coupons       Education Resources

My Cause: Family

spartanwriter
At 5:30 in the morning, the only thing I needed to do more than make myself a bowl of oatmeal was not make myself a bowl of oatmeal. Though my stomach screamed impatiently at me, so did my phone, alarm clock, and brain, all telling me I was late to school. I had no time for oatmeal’s warmth and comforting consistency—a mushy mouthful reminiscent of applesauce and baby food, nourishment of earlier days, when technology didn’t rule our lives and we weren’t perpetually late. It speaks of a time when people remembered, while dashing out the door to whatever tyrannical organization for which they worked, that the most important organization is one’s family.
Without family, no other organizations exist. Though Microsoft processes our documents, Tyson Foods Inc our food, and Mac OS X our computer data, family processes us. Connected by blood—not the Internet—our family members ever console us and bolster us against the wind left in the wake whipped up by the world’s frantic pace.
In eighth grade, a group of my peers teamed up. Together they fired off a series of invectives at me. As each pointed phrase and action found its mark, I winced further and further into a shell of depression. Anorexia nervosa seized me. Under its care, I was sued by my peers on charges of inadequacy and inability to fit in. Defended by the vigilant care of my family, I was vindicated of all charges and brought gradually out of my inner prison back to the light of health and happiness.
With a ten percent mortality rate, anorexia nervosa proved a difficult foe. With the rapid, expanding technology epitomized by cell phones and computers, both of which facilitated my peers’ harassment of me, acquiring it proved easy. Because of the technology people so desperately cling to—as though relinquishing devices for but a moment would be to relinquish one’s hold on life—expands yearly and promises to do so in 2011, the need for family has become more essential than ever. A parent won’t power down when most needed, nor will a sibling be rendered useless because of a dead battery. Because family helps us come to terms with and helps us solve our problems, thus enabling us to get through life, it will have the biggest impact on people’s lives in 2011.
The world is not slowing down: it’s spinning just as fast for us as it had the Cro-Magnons. We, however, the population of 2011, are speeding up, to the point where a ten minute drive is a hull and waiting half a day for an e-mail absurd. Bearing this breathless pace in mind, we must, in 2011, hold tight to the institution that made us and enables us to keep going. As we embrace the New Year, let us also embrace our family members. For family generously offers us all the time in the world, while the world can’t spare us ninety seconds for a bowl of oatmeal.
Rate this:
Comment by etiquetteguy

Thank you for sharing this personal story. Family is the unit which healthy societies require to survive. There are endless reasons to support and encourage strong families. Today's families extend well outside the boundaries of the house. Healthy communities can encourage families and can also team together to help those in need of support. This is a beautifully written essay. Thank you for sharing a part of you with all of us. Continued success!
Posted: Sunday, February 20, 2011 4:53:32 PM
Rate this:
Comment by AmyDoodle

Terrific insight. Also, I love the continuity from referencing the oatmeal at the beginning and at the end.
Posted: Tuesday, February 22, 2011 1:04:38 AM
Rate this:
Comment by DarkStar49

This was a great essay! I had an experience was I was your age with someone I knew who suffered similar consequences as you with anorexia. Sadly she is not here today to share her experiences due to the unforgiving peer cruelness that was shot her direction constantly. It has impacted me for life. Thanks for being so strong and speaking out for those who cannot. I have always stated that friends will come and go....but family is forever! Good luck with your bright future.
Posted: Tuesday, February 22, 2011 6:17:16 AM
Rate this:
Comment by bugcandy

Congratulations!

Your essay has been selected as one of the finalists for the January student writing contest.

Check this page within the next few days as we'll be announcing the winner soon. If you are selected as the winner, we'll contact you about where to send the prize package (look for an email from me).

We look forward to reading more of your writing on the site! Don't hesitate to contact us with any questions.

--Eric Thiegs, CEO StageofLife.com, and The Stage of Life Editorial Team

P.s. By the way, if you haven't entered the current month's writing contest, we hope you do. Congrats again!
Posted: Tuesday, February 22, 2011 1:55:10 PM
Rate this:

About StageofLife.comAbout Us:  StageofLife.com is a free blogging and writing community for high school students that allows teens the opportunity to share their personal stories and essays in an online life journal via their free Stage of Life account.  Check out our national Teen Trend Reports, and make sure to explore the writing contests for high school students, inspirational videos for teens, statistics about students, quotes about high school, and other resources about High School here on StageofLife.com.  Register to start your free writing profile, share an essay about your life, and help us change the world, one story at a time.  If you are a teacher - review our Language Arts Teaching Resources.

Writing Contest Archive - Students

Writing Contests and Teen Trend Reports

StageofLife.com Student Writing Contests

Below you will find all of the monthly writing contests and teen trend reports from the last five years hosted by StageofLife.com.  Our dedication to digital literacy efforts have reached over 1,000,000 students and teachers in the last half decade, received mention on TIME.com, and features in the news.  Feel free to click through and read the top essay submissions from any given month.  StageofLife.com is honored to be one of the most-visited writing contests for students in the world.  We love working with you as we celebrate the journey as life-long readers and writers...

2016 Writing Contests

Writing Contest for High School Students

2015 Writing Contests

2014 Writing Contests

2013 Writing Contests

2012 Writing Contests

2011 Writing Contests

2010 Writing Contests

Stage of Life Mission Statement

Find Us on Facebook      Follow Us on Twitter     Read our Founder's Blog

StageofLife.com was launched in 2009 as the premier destination for people of all ages to find information, coupons, and stories about one of ten key stage of life transitions:  high school, college, on my own, wedding, married without children, having a baby, home ownership, parenting, grand parenting, and empty nest/retirement.  Nearly 1 million visitors come to the site each year to find information about their stage of life.  Stage of Life users (teens, college students, Millennials, Gen Y, Gen X, and Baby Boomers) can also share and archive their life stories via their Stage of Life profile page.  Specialized content includes statistics, quotes, videos, financial tips, coupons, news, writing contests, and more tailored to each of the 10 life stages featured.  My Life Rewards® is the free discount program for all Stage of Life users, readers and writers dedicated to providing printable coupons and coupon codes tailored towards each stage of life.

Terms of Service and Privacy