STAGE OF LIFE       Share Your Story       Coupons       Education Resources

Second Chances: Starting from Within

mmgragg
Since we were born we have been taught to apologize when we have hurt someone, and to accept the apology of someone who has hurt us. As we have grown, we have ultimately experienced second chances that make or break us. As a young adult, one of the most important second chances I was given, was from myself.
The summer before seventh grade I was a victim of Intrafamilial Sexual Abuse. The incident was reported and I was not physically harmed, but this event had a large toll on my emotions as a developing adolescent. Initially, I felt as though it was my fault, that I had caused this to happen. On top of the blame, I felt as though there was no one I could talk to. I was thirteen years old, boys still had “cooties” and I thought my friends just wouldn’t understand.
I remember spending days curled up on the couch trying to turn back time to before. Through the tears and the blame, I began to wonder if I had done the right thing. I thought that maybe if I just hadn't told anybody what happened that I wouldn't feel like this. My mom saw me struggling and provided the support system I needed. She let me talk things through with her, she advised me to talk to my close friends about the incident, and most importantly she continually reminded me that nothing that happened had been my fault.
It took a while, but some wounds can only be healed by time. I realized that I was the only one letting myself mope around. I was the one letting him control me. I just needed to forgive myself, and things would drastically improve. Slowly I began to find myself again. I stopped fantasizing about running away, and I started to laugh and joke again.
I talked about the incident with my family members and my friends. When people asked me what had happened I was no longer embarrassed. Looking back, being sexually abused is something that happened to me, but it is not something that I let define me. I know now that reporting the incident was the best thing that I could have done, in order to prevent others from falling victim as well. Although it is definitely not a nice memory, I think it is important that I talk about what happened to show others that being a victim is not the end, and that to overcome abuse, you must first give yourself a second chance.
Rate this:
Comment by thiegsr

On behalf of the entire StageofLife.com editorial board, I would like to congratulate you for your Be the Change essay being chosen as one of our finalists in the running for 1st place for our Feb./ March 2016 teen writing competition. Be proud of your accomplishment!

We are in the process of selecting our top three winners, and naming the 1st place winner from the narrowed field.

We will post all winning essay results by April 30th. You can check this page for the results after April 30th:
http://www.stageoflife.com/Writing_Contests/WritingContestWinners.aspx

Thanks for adding your voice to our mission “Changing the World . . . One Story at a Time” and feel free to share your accomplishment.

Sincerely,
Rebecca Thiegs
StageofLife.com Co-Founder and Education Consultant
Posted: Thursday, April 7, 2016 10:42:36 PM
Rate this:
Comment by thiegsr

On behalf of the entire StageofLife.com editorial board, I would like to congratulate you for your Feb./ March 2016 Second Chances essay being selected as one of our runners up.

You can check this page after April 30th for all the writing contest results::
http://www.stageoflife.com/Writing_Contests/WritingContestWinners.aspx

Thanks for adding your voice to our mission “Changing the World . . . One Story at a Time” and feel free to share your accomplishment with the world.

Sincerely,
Rebecca Thiegs
StageofLife.com Co-Founder and Education Consultant
Posted: Tuesday, April 26, 2016 9:20:59 PM
Rate this:

About StageofLife.comAbout Us:  StageofLife.com is a free blogging and writing community for high school students that allows teens the opportunity to share their personal stories and essays in an online life journal via their free Stage of Life account.  Check out our national Teen Trend Reports, and make sure to explore the writing contests for high school students, inspirational videos for teens, statistics about students, quotes about high school, and other resources about High School here on StageofLife.com.  Register to start your free writing profile, share an essay about your life, and help us change the world, one story at a time.  If you are a teacher - review our Language Arts Teaching Resources.

Writing Contest Archive - Students

Writing Contests and Teen Trend Reports

StageofLife.com Student Writing Contests

Below you will find all of the monthly writing contests and teen trend reports from the last five years hosted by StageofLife.com.  Our dedication to digital literacy efforts have reached over 1,000,000 students and teachers in the last half decade, received mention on TIME.com, and features in the news.  Feel free to click through and read the top essay submissions from any given month.  StageofLife.com is honored to be one of the most-visited writing contests for students in the world.  We love working with you as we celebrate the journey as life-long readers and writers...

2016 Writing Contests

Writing Contest for High School Students

2015 Writing Contests

2014 Writing Contests

2013 Writing Contests

2012 Writing Contests

2011 Writing Contests

2010 Writing Contests

Stage of Life Mission Statement

Find Us on Facebook      Follow Us on Twitter     Read our Founder's Blog

StageofLife.com was launched in 2009 as the premier destination for people of all ages to find information, coupons, and stories about one of ten key stage of life transitions:  high school, college, on my own, wedding, married without children, having a baby, home ownership, parenting, grand parenting, and empty nest/retirement.  Nearly 1 million visitors come to the site each year to find information about their stage of life.  Stage of Life users (teens, college students, Millennials, Gen Y, Gen X, and Baby Boomers) can also share and archive their life stories via their Stage of Life profile page.  Specialized content includes statistics, quotes, videos, financial tips, coupons, news, writing contests, and more tailored to each of the 10 life stages featured.  My Life Rewards® is the free discount program for all Stage of Life users, readers and writers dedicated to providing printable coupons and coupon codes tailored towards each stage of life.

Terms of Service and Privacy