Second Chances: You Only See Well with the Heart

taterannt
My eyes were closed driving to the hospital, half because they hurt and half because I was holding back tears. I was on my way to surgery. It was my twelfth, but only the second that I remember clearly. I had ten eye surgeries before I turned six, and another one four months before. I told myself I was ready, that this was the answer, and that I was strong enough. But honestly, I wasn’t sure.
I was born blind, but after numerous surgeries and immense effort from my parents, my sight came back. As a student, I had to have lots of accommodations and help. It was challenging, but I persevered.
But a year ago, as a sophomore, everything came crashing down. Suddenly in a matter of days any reading or writing hurt horribly. At first I didn’t want to admit it, but one night I had to tearfully admit to myself and my family that something was terribly wrong.
My world changed quickly. Soon, it hurt to see anything. I was a frequent visitor to the nurse’s office. It never helped, but I couldn’t do classwork, anyway. I started using a cane and learning braille. My teachers were helpful, but decided with my family that I needed a one-on-one aide.
Time flew by and I knew my junior year that it was going to be quite different than I imagined, but I told myself I could do it. After a while, I was paired with an amazing aide, and I made it to surgery day.
I was extremely scared, but my eyes did what they were supposed to do. I got depth perception and peripheral vision among countless other results that I had never had before. The doctors said it was a miracle, but this “miracle” only lasted a week. As a result, we scheduled a second surgery.
That was three weeks ago. Right now, my eyes are doing well. I’m still recovering, but I have the benefits back that I glimpsed the first time. My doctor says we climbed a mountain and fell, then climbed it again. Now I just have to stay. I am determined to make it work and praying I can.
Despite the physical and emotional issues, I am fairly happy it happened. Through the pain, I had a huge support system at school, home, and church. Anytime it hurt I called a friend and talked about how God had hold of me, and I’d be okay. God taught me so much through this process. I learned more than I could have ever imagined through Him, my friends, family, and myself. I wouldn’t change it for anything, even though it caused me pain. I am thankful for the second chance that God gave me, not only to possibly have better vision than we dreamed, but also--and more importantly--getting a second chance to see that, in reality, you only see well with the heart.