Second Chances: For Some and Not For Some

00000jenny
Do you honestly believe everyone deserves a second chance? I personally believe criminals don't deserve second chances. Would you want a murderer, rapist, or smuggler to get another chance? Another redo? What's the difference between a second chance and a tenth chance? They still are both do overs. How would you feel if there were a released criminal living next to you? Most people would be quite uncomfortable. It has actually been shown that most criminals continue their dirty work even after they are given a second chance. Do people like this deserve a second chance? A second chance to do more crimes, except, this time making sure they don't get caught again. Studies show that 52% of criminals return to jail after they are released for the first time. Though the giver of the second chance may have good intentions, the receiver can see it as an opportunity to do worse, for they got away with injustice the first time. No one in life should be "given" anything. One must earn their second chance. By earning this, one isn't experiencing a second chance; they are experiencing a new beginning. If a person was in the wrong place at the wrong time, they do not need a second chance; they did not do anything wrong. Though, in such circumstance, they may have gotten penalized for their role in whatever crime, a second chance would not be necessary. They have nothing to make up for.

I concur that everyone makes mistakes and that no one is perfect. I also agree that great experience comes from learning from said mistakes. However, while second chances should be deemed under certain circumstances, not everyone deserves the right to be granted a second chance.

I do believe in second chances. I don't, however, believe everyone deserves one.

"This year, 10,839 people will die in drunk-driving crashes - one every 50 minutes." A drunk driver that has killed an innocent life absolutely does not deserve a second chance at being able to drive freely. There are certain privileges that should not be taken for granted or looked upon lightly.

"An average drunk driver has driven drunk 80 times before first arrest." These drivers have gotten more than a second chance. The more times they drive drunk, the higher the risk someone's life will be ended. A human life is more precious that a second chance.

Again, I'm not saying people no one deserves second chances. But, not everyone should be automatically given one.