Be the change

Jared Reger
Be the change: Community clean-up
By: Jared Reger
In today’s fast paced world many of us can ignore the laws on littering. I live in the country and a lot of the time I am unaffected by people throwing trash on the ground, but when I go into town I feel disappointed in people that don’t see that they are hurting themselves and everything around them by littering. One piece of trash doesn’t seem like it would make much difference but they would be wrong. One piece of plastic could choke a puppy and ruin a family’s picnic.
In my community I could make a change by trying to get my local government to incentivize recycling. If this were to happen I believe more people would recycle which would mean less trash to litter the streets. I think people would see that our streets are much more attractive without plastic bags blowing in the wind or any trash at all. Once people got used to seeing clean streets less would litter and possibly even if they do see trash take the time to pick it up and throw it away.
Before I got that done i think it would be smart to get the streets cleaned up in the first place. I could volunteer and possibly convince some of my friends and family to assist me. Having help would make it more enjoyable and we would get a lot more done.
In the Ghandi quote he explained completely what I would call karma. Karma is the belief that if you are a good person and you do good things good things will happen to you. I don’t know that I believe this completely although i do believe that life can be more enjoyable if you are a good person and people are more inclined to be nice to nice people. I think the world is more random and you do not always have as much control as you might like to have so just being nice might improve your life but it will not change the fact that you could get in a wreck or a family member could pass away etc..