Be the Change: It's Not Too Late

akmuze
"If we could change ourselves, the tendencies in the world would also change. As a man changes his own nature, so does the attitude of the world change towards him. ... We need not wait to see what others do.” -- Gandhi"

Our world today has a whole plethora of problems. It can be hard to see past all of these problems to figure out how to fix them. In fact, I was having a conversation with my mother recently about one of these problems prevalent enough in my home state of Alaska to create national attention and attract the president to see for himself what we are facing: climate change. She was explaining how climate change can be fixed and how there’s still hope. I replied with “what am I supposed to do about it? It’s too late to do anything. There’s nothing I can do to fix climate change.”

After mulling over this conversation for a few days, I realized that the reason for all of the problems in the world today is the uneven ratio of people who believe that it’s too late to do anything to the people that believe even the smallest change can add up to a better future. If I asked anyone of my peers what they think about any issue in our society, I’m almost positive that they would have the same mindset that I had: It’s too late to do anything and we can’t do anything to fix these problems, that we can’t make a change. And that’s scary. My peers and I, we’re the future of this planet and we are continuing to make the same mistakes our parents’ generation and their parents’ generations made. We’re continuing to increase CO2 emissions, deny equal rights for women, fix world hunger, stay connected despite the increase in technology, get rid of pollution, use technology in a destructive way, obesity rates; so many things that are easy to change if we put our minds to it.

Be the change means consciously deciding that you are not the center of the universe. As the writer David Foster Wallace said in his famous speech This is Water, “We continue to make the unconscious decisions that separate us from reality.” We have the choice to accept reality and make it a better one. Be the change means taking action and taking a stand for what we believe in. Be the change means continuing to do the little actions that will eventually add up to a better, brighter future and not losing patience when the changes don’t happen instantaneously. Be the change is a call to arms, and every single person on this planet has the ability to be the change.

While my generation has the attitude that it’s too late to fix society’s problems, it’s not too late to change our attitude. We still have time to be the change that our future needs. We need to change the way we think in order to be the change that this world needs before it’s too late for good.