STAGE OF LIFE       Share Your Story       Coupons       Education Resources

Environmental Issues: The Cynicism Paradox

j.liu
I live in New York City, and let me tell you, people here like to think the best of themselves, just like people anywhere like to think the best of themselves. There’s a psychological term for that, too: situational and dispositional attribution. Together, the two describe how human beings have a tendency to attribute their successes to their dispositional characteristics (perceived character traits) and their failures to situational characteristics (what was going on around them).

When we think about the environment, we whine “Oh, there’s no point. My one trashed bottle isn’t going to matter because it’s just the one, and it’s not like it would be legitimately recycled,” like we have a right to discard responsibility like that. This can be summed up in a little something I like to call “faith-based cynicism.” We would rather pat ourselves on the back for being “informed” and “justifiably mistrustful” about the situation than let ourselves understand that we have a duty to the environment.

We’re cynical, yes, but that doesn’t only mean that we don’t have faith that things will work out. When we sit on our hands and judge how half of recycled materials are dumped into the garbage truck during the transport between the blue container and the plant because sanitation workers have to completely empty the bins regardless of the truck, we choose to have faith that the system will work better when we are hands-off. We choose to think that it will work out better if we don’t do anything, and that takes faith, faith that was never deserved.

Being eco-friendly in an urban center is hard. I know that intimately. It means making all those tough decisions and trying to compromise between yourself and yourself: paper or plastic, organic or local, carpool or public transportation. It means making those decisions while fighting to work up the motivation to do assignments and finding time to do the things that make life worth living. But guess what? That applies to everybody. Being eco-friendly isn’t about saying, “I live in a major city: I can’t garden,” or “I don’t live in a major city: I don’t have as many options for assistance.” The truth is, being eco-friendly is making those small steps. It’s looking at ourselves, and not flinching from the ugliness inside. The situation is not the problem. We’re the problem.

The first change is in ourselves. Teenagers are lazy. But so is everyone else. We have to stop thinking of ourselves as exceptions to the rule, because the rule is we don’t have to save the environment. The earth will be fine without us. It will keep rotating on its axis, keep revolving around the sun. What we really mean when we say “save the environment,” is “save ourselves.” We are selfish: it’s the lowest common denominator and evolution programmed us that way. See? Another excuse. Jokes aside, repeat after me: the earth will be fine without us. But we won’t be fine without the earth.
Rate this:
Comment by DanielCook

Environment pollution is a great problem not only in the USA but in the whole world. And I like your essay about this. I think it can help to change people's attitude to environment. I am pleased that to you wrote this essay by yourself without a writing service. But if you are interested in it you can check essay writing services review.
Posted: Tuesday, November 3, 2015 10:10:39 AM
Rate this:
Comment by thiegsr

On behalf of the entire StageofLife.com editorial board, I would like to congratulate you for your Environmental Issues essay being chosen as one of our finalists in the running for 1st place for our October 2015 teen writing competition. Be proud of your accomplishment!

We are in the process of selecting our top three winners, and naming the 1st place winner from the narrowed field.

We will post all winning essay results by November 30th. You can check this page for the results after November 30th:
http://www.stageoflife.com/Writing_Contests/WritingContestWinners.aspx

Thanks for adding your voice to our mission “Changing the World . . . One Story at a Time” and feel free to share your accomplishment.

Sincerely,
Rebecca Thiegs
StageofLife.com Co-Founder and Education Consultant
Posted: Monday, November 9, 2015 6:53:51 PM
Rate this:
Comment by thiegsr

On behalf of the entire StageofLife.com editorial board, I would like to congratulate you for your October Environmental Issues essay being selected as our third place teen essay.

You can check this page after November 30th 2015 for all the writing contest results::
http://www.stageoflife.com/Writing_Contests/WritingContestWinners.aspx

Thanks for adding your voice to our mission “Changing the World . . . One Story at a Time” and feel free to share your accomplishment with the world.

Sincerely,
Rebecca Thiegs
StageofLife.com Co-Founder and Education Consultant
Posted: Friday, November 20, 2015 8:55:09 PM
Rate this:
Comment by Jake Jones

Thanks a lot for the awesome post here!
Really appreciate it.
You can always check the best writing services reviews at http://writing-services-reviews.weebly.com/ There is only a 100% true info from people who tested them & their service. Be aware of the scam services.

Best regards,
Jake
Posted: Monday, April 24, 2017 11:48:34 AM
Rate this:
Comment by Preston Felix

The problem of our society is that no one wants to take responsibility. Not everyone even understands the seriousness of the situation. What's sad. I wrote about this several articles for rewarded essays. I hope that with time the situation will improve and at last people start to think.
Posted: Friday, April 27, 2018 4:25:06 PM
Rate this:
Comment by Jonathan87

yes, this is the big problem of our society and peoples do not understand the problem of society they don't take responsibilities and also take over responsibilities to others and think that they are a good person in society this type of activities also impact the society environment and peoples also disturbed. Essay Help
Posted: Friday, May 4, 2018 7:59:20 AM
Rate this:
Comment by elianahermione

The environmental issues include pollution climate changes threats to biodiversity. The main reason for all these issues is the effect of human on the environment. The pollution can be categorized as air pollution, soil pollution, and water pollution. The climate changes are the result of global warming which is the result of increased amount of greenhouse gases in the earth atmosphere Cheap essay help.
Posted: Tuesday, June 26, 2018 8:23:53 AM
Rate this:
Comment by rebeccahickshq

Let this life come and go the natural way it wants. I have no reason to lament about this life because I was the first destination and was chosen to be born on this earth.bloons tower defense 5
super smash flash 2
Posted: Tuesday, July 3, 2018 2:29:36 AM
Rate this:

About StageofLife.comAbout Us:  StageofLife.com is a free blogging and writing community for high school students that allows teens the opportunity to share their personal stories and essays in an online life journal via their free Stage of Life account.  Check out our national Teen Trend Reports, and make sure to explore the writing contests for high school students, inspirational videos for teens, statistics about students, quotes about high school, and other resources about High School here on StageofLife.com.  Register to start your free writing profile, share an essay about your life, and help us change the world, one story at a time.  If you are a teacher - review our Language Arts Teaching Resources.

Writing Contest Archive - Students

Writing Contests and Teen Trend Reports

StageofLife.com Student Writing Contests

Below you will find all of the monthly writing contests and teen trend reports from the last five years hosted by StageofLife.com.  Our dedication to digital literacy efforts have reached over 1,000,000 students and teachers in the last half decade, received mention on TIME.com, and features in the news.  Feel free to click through and read the top essay submissions from any given month.  StageofLife.com is honored to be one of the most-visited writing contests for students in the world.  We love working with you as we celebrate the journey as life-long readers and writers...

2016 Writing Contests

Writing Contest for High School Students

2015 Writing Contests

2014 Writing Contests

2013 Writing Contests

2012 Writing Contests

2011 Writing Contests

2010 Writing Contests

Stage of Life Mission Statement

Find Us on Facebook      Follow Us on Twitter     Read our Founder's Blog

StageofLife.com was launched in 2009 as the premier destination for people of all ages to find information, coupons, and stories about one of ten key stage of life transitions:  high school, college, on my own, wedding, married without children, having a baby, home ownership, parenting, grand parenting, and empty nest/retirement.  Nearly 1 million visitors come to the site each year to find information about their stage of life.  Stage of Life users (teens, college students, Millennials, Gen Y, Gen X, and Baby Boomers) can also share and archive their life stories via their Stage of Life profile page.  Specialized content includes statistics, quotes, videos, financial tips, coupons, news, writing contests, and more tailored to each of the 10 life stages featured.  My Life Rewards® is the free discount program for all Stage of Life users, readers and writers dedicated to providing printable coupons and coupon codes tailored towards each stage of life.

Terms of Service and Privacy