Environmental Issues: What We Lose if We Do Not Change

LizaNaydanova
O Beautiful for droughts and fires,
For storms and heavy rains,
With tons of carbon dioxide
Emitted on your plains!
America! America!
We impose climate change on thee,
We need to stop and save your grace,
From sea to shining sea!

Liza Naydanova

Azure skies. Multicolored corals. Stunning glaciers. Green fields. Light drizzles. White sands and turquoise waters. Cool springtime weather.

Heavy clouds. Bleached, weakened corals. Snowless, gray mountains. Drought, fire, and smoke. Cracked earth. Floods. Cities submerged. Parching heat.

This is a perfect world versus one wracked with the effects of global warming.

The clichés of climate change are polar bears and corals, but the real consequences reach so much farther. This modern danger destroys entire ecosystems, disrupts economies, and increases the rate of natural disasters.

Global temperatures have increased by a seemingly insignificant 0.7 degrees Celsius since 1990 due to global warming. What effects could such a small change possibly have?

A lot.

First, climate change unravels ecosystems. The Earth’s ecosystems rest on a delicate balance. Even a slight tip of the scales, a mere 0.7 degrees, causes a catastrophic disaster. Marine life all over the world is already facing the consequences of global warming. The changes in ocean temperature trigger an enormous decline in coral population, which in turn effects widespread dislocation of other marine life.

Second, economies are hobbled by the impacts of climate change on farming. Several South American villages depend on glaciers on mountaintops for their water. Over the last couple decades, those glaciers have melted by more than half of their original size because of rising temperatures. Now the villagers suffer from frequent droughts and lack of water for irrigation. African farmers are also in jeopardy since the rising temperatures have rendered the soil non-arable.

Finally, the frequency and severity of natural disasters have increased dramatically during recent years. The recent drought in Russia and the wildfires in Australia point out the danger and urgency of this problem. Scientists tie many floods and hurricanes to global warming as well.

These horrors will only develop if we do not change our ways of life.

Global warming is not a problem a small group of dedicated environmentalists can avert. Only the entire society working together can address the multitude of causes of climate change. Since the causes of global warming reach from carbon dioxide emissions from huge fuel companies to greenhouse gas emissions from aerosol cans in households, only society as a whole can stop global warming.

Global warming has already proved to be catastrophic. The only way to preserve our Earth is to work together to eradicate climate change.

On behalf of the entire StageofLife.com editorial board, I would like to congratulate you for your Environmental Issues essay being chosen as one of our finalists in the running for 1st place for our October 2015 teen writing competition. Be proud of your accomplishment!

We are in the process of selecting our top three winners, and naming the 1st place winner from the narrowed field.

We will post all winning essay results by November 30th. You can check this page for the results after November 30th:

Thanks for adding your voice to our mission “Changing the World . . . One Story at a Time” and feel free to share your accomplishment.

Posted: Monday, November 9, 2015 6:52:03 PM

On behalf of the entire StageofLife.com editorial board, I would like to congratulate you for your October Environmental Issues essay being selected as our second place teen essay.

You can check this page after November 30th 2015 for all the writing contest results::

Posted: Friday, November 20, 2015 8:54:34 PM