Family Vacation: The Ride Home

Soni2468
It’s funny. My favorite part of my upstate vacation was the ride home. And it’s not because it was late at night (even though it was), or because I hated where we went (even though I did) or because I couldn’t wait to sleep in my own bed (even though I couldn’t). It was because we were all together, and we were traveling to the place familiar to our hearts; we were going back home.

At 3 a.m., New York City was as bright as it always was. Every time I look back, the lights get brighter, the sky gets darker and we become the only car on the road. And maybe, it felt like that because in that car was my whole world.

We were tightly packed as my uncle drove, twelve people in a seven-seater, but to every single one of us, it didn't matter. It didn’t matter that my youngest cousin was spread across my lap, that we barely had shoulder space, and that for the people in the middle, their butts were on half a seat. At least, it didn’t matter to me.

As my uncle drove through the city, down to Brooklyn, we were lifted into the sky by overpasses as people slept, and over bridges that were suspended on large metal ropes that pierced the clouds, and along the once sparkling water, blanketed in darkness. I found myself realizing I was the happiest I’d been that whole weekend. I didn’t mind the lonely storefronts with illuminated ‘closed’ signs, and the barren playgrounds with the empty swings, and the orange tunnels that looked like bathrooms.

It was an orange tunnel, as we traveled across the ocean, surrounded by bricks and flickering lights, that gave me one of the best moments of my life.

The radio had lost its signal, and the static gave all of us the sign to lose consciousness. We finally let go and allowed the humming of the car’s engine, and the silence of the world around us, to lull us to sleep. One by one, we leaned over, someone on the windowsill, and another on top of her and someone on top of me. We became a chain of dreamers.

And somehow, we were all connected. We were connected in the purest way, as the rhythms of our breaths made the song of the night, and our warm hands rested still on our laps, and our cheeks against each other’s backs, felt, deeply, the heartbeat of the person we used as a pillow.

If I could, I would have stayed there forever. I would have stayed in that tunnel, in the middle of the sea, with my entire family sleeping to the sound of the static on the radio. And my uncle, with the salt-and-pepper hair, the conductor of his train of dreams, flying us through the part of the world that never sleeps.

On behalf of the entire StageofLife.com editorial board, I would like to congratulate you for your August Family Vacation Essay being selected as one of our top finalists. Our editors are currently working on choosing the first place essay.

We will post all winning essay results by September 30th. You can check this page for the results after September 30th:

Posted: Thursday, September 10, 2015 7:45:01 PM

On behalf of the entire StageofLife.com editorial board, I would like to congratulate you for your August Family Vacation Essay being selected as our first place essay!

We will be contacting you via your registration email for your prize details.

You can check this page for all the writing contest results::

Posted: Monday, September 21, 2015 3:28:25 PM