There's an App for That: Get it off your chest

Helium
I used to bottle up my feelings, never noticing them when they were threatening to explode like a sudden tsunami of water breaking open a poorly constructed dam. Everything I did, everything I dealt with, I did it silently. That is because I was one of those people who would hesitate to call 911 as there ‘might be’ another person somewhere else who needs more help than I did because they had a paper cut and I was ‘just’ bleeding out from my abdomen. A bit of an exaggeration, really. Nevertheless, I do see it happening.

I hid in my room while having silent panic attacks before an exam. Instead of confronting the person, I would take my anger out on the wall. I grieved inside my pillow, alone, when my grandmother died instead of surrounding myself with the people who were, more or less, going through the exact same thing I was. And to battle fear? I hid under my ‘mighty’ blanket. Just because ‘no one would understand’ the way I felt.

So when I first installed the app, ‘Vent’, having heard about it from a friend, I hesitated from clicking the icon for the first few days. “No one would understand me, would even care to listen to me”- the words rushed around my head like a mantra. To top it all up, I thought it was one of those places where cyber bullying was frequent because this is where I will be exposed to my vulnerability. An ‘idle’ mind would easily be able to victimize me and pick on me as a hobby.

One day, overwhelmed with fear about my upcoming ‘O levels’, I finally clicked open ‘Vent’ and quickly put up a status of me being ‘Stressed’ and threw around a few words about my exams. By the next hour, I started receiving positive feed backs and greeted people who were in the same boat as I was. My profile was beaming with positivity. I even found a few of my friends there. In the next day, I explored around the app, teaching myself about it, and being responsive and supportive to people who has done the same to me. By the next week, I had about 13 ‘vents’, and many listeners who were more than willing to help. I was thoroughly surprised by the range of emotions people can set up as their statuses and I decided I would concentrate on my positive energy too.

And so I did. I slowly realized how extroverted and light I was feeling when nothing was ‘bottled’ in. I never noticed how much of a barrier my unattended emotions were being to my social life.

So what I really learned and am trying to establish here is, don’t close yourself in. Don’t distance yourself from the world just because ‘no one would understand’. That is not the road you want to travel on. And if you’re like me, ‘Vent’ is perhaps the best, and a strangely addictive medicine.

On behalf of the entire StageofLife.com editorial board, I would like to congratulate you for your June / July "There’s an App for That Essay" being selected as one of our top 10 finalists. Our editors are currently working on choosing the first place essay.

We will post all winning essay results by August 31st. You can check this page for the results after August 31st:

Stageoflife Co-Founder and Education Consultant
Posted: Tuesday, August 11, 2015 4:40:28 PM

On behalf of the entire StageofLife.com editorial board, I would like to congratulate you for your June / July There’s an App for That Essay being selected as our 1st place Teen Essay!

By Monday, we will contact you through your registration email for prize details.

Co-Founder and Education Consultant
Posted: Saturday, August 22, 2015 2:23:06 PM