STAGE OF LIFE       Share Your Story       Coupons       Education Resources

BFFs – Best. Friends. Forever.

liz pearl
Pearls of Wisdom:
BFFs – Best. Friends. Forever.
Liz Pearl © 2015

It’s been decades since the genesis of our friendship. L and N met sometime in elementary school, and I befriended them several years later at summer sleepover camp when we were tweens. Our friendship trio peaked sometime around our memorable Sweet‒16s. It’s true, three is a tricky number for a BFF bond; apparently allegiances switch. How do I know this? I know this because I have three kids very close in age, and over the years I have seen every possible combination of shifting partnerships and exclusions. I remind myself, it’s just a stage, nothing lasts forever, and siblings have shifting loyalties.

Every summer I enjoy a brief retreat up north in the picturesque Laurentians at L’s magnificent country house by the quiet lake, a wonderful opportunity to unwind, catch up and reminisce about the olden days. L and N have remained BFFs through the decades seeing each other often and keeping in touch on a regular basis, like longtime best friends often do. It seems that N and I lost touch, we somehow drifted apart years ago, as often happens with hometown friends (I moved from Montreal to Toronto), and of course, life gets in the way.

Summer retreat 2015 is fast approaching. This year, it will be a trio reunion. In preparation, I do some excavating in my childhood bedroom (my parents still own the home I grew up in and “my room” is a shrine to my youth). Several years ago, my curious teenaged daughter dug up some dusty letters from my teen-days. These sentimental relics of my younger self included sappy love letters and dramatic friendship letters. From the stash, I locate two classic friendship letters handwritten 35 years ago and toss them in my purse.

We arrive at the cottage: embrace, laugh, schmooze, reminisce, eat and drink. We try not to gossip, but it seems old habits die hard. We sit on the dock and enjoy the warm evening breeze, a beautiful pink sky and sip wine. Not Skinnygirl. We remember old secrets, friendship trysts. We try to recall how many times we saw Grease ‒ an ode to our adolescence. Remember, this was long before The Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants, Friends, or The O.C. We chuckle about our prom dates, gutsy adventures, and reminisce some more. Ahh…the good-old days. Wasn’t it just yesterday we were teenagers, carefree and often sunburnt with so much of life ahead of us?

But the years have become decades and we are now older and wiser. There are no guarantees, and life is not always rosy. Collectively we have experienced many joys and our share of heartaches along the way that life inevitably brings: marriage, infertility, childbirth, adoption, miscarriage, stillbirth, learning disabilities, depression, surgeries, and divorce. Let’s not forget ‒ so many wonderful family vacations, fun birthday parties, graduations and joyous holiday celebrations.

Wow time flies. We have survived turning 20, 30, and 40, and most recently 50. Our kids are growing up and with awe we are launching them into the world. We wonder about their futures, our futures.

Late into the night, we’re tucked into a comfy country couch and I pull out the treasured classic letters ‒ SWAK. We laugh until we cry. So much drama. Beyond obnoxious. No spell check. What could we expect? We were three spirited teenaged girls vying for essential BF bonds and swapping crushes. We each have teenaged daughters ‒ so we get it, sort of. OMG! They would holler if they read our 70s letters. LOL.

It’s time to say our good-byes…see you next summer?! We are wise enough to know that we really don’t know what the year ahead will bring; but here’s what we DO know.

1. What we want most, is for our (young adults) kids and our aging parents to be healthy and happy.
2. We want to stay young at heart and enjoy all that life has to offer.
3. We will be here again, next summer, sipping wine and sharing silly stories, like old friends do.
Rate this:

About StageofLife.comAbout Us:  StageofLife.com is a free blogging and writing community for high school students that allows teens the opportunity to share their personal stories and essays in an online life journal via their free Stage of Life account.  Check out our national Teen Trend Reports, and make sure to explore the writing contests for high school students, inspirational videos for teens, statistics about students, quotes about high school, and other resources about High School here on StageofLife.com.  Register to start your free writing profile, share an essay about your life, and help us change the world, one story at a time.  If you are a teacher - review our Language Arts Teaching Resources.

Writing Contest Archive - Students

Writing Contests and Teen Trend Reports

StageofLife.com Student Writing Contests

Below you will find all of the monthly writing contests and teen trend reports from the last five years hosted by StageofLife.com.  Our dedication to digital literacy efforts have reached over 1,000,000 students and teachers in the last half decade, received mention on TIME.com, and features in the news.  Feel free to click through and read the top essay submissions from any given month.  StageofLife.com is honored to be one of the most-visited writing contests for students in the world.  We love working with you as we celebrate the journey as life-long readers and writers...

2016 Writing Contests

Writing Contest for High School Students

2015 Writing Contests

2014 Writing Contests

2013 Writing Contests

2012 Writing Contests

2011 Writing Contests

2010 Writing Contests

Stage of Life Mission Statement

Find Us on Facebook      Follow Us on Twitter     Read our Founder's Blog

StageofLife.com was launched in 2009 as the premier destination for people of all ages to find information, coupons, and stories about one of ten key stage of life transitions:  high school, college, on my own, wedding, married without children, having a baby, home ownership, parenting, grand parenting, and empty nest/retirement.  Nearly 1 million visitors come to the site each year to find information about their stage of life.  Stage of Life users (teens, college students, Millennials, Gen Y, Gen X, and Baby Boomers) can also share and archive their life stories via their Stage of Life profile page.  Specialized content includes statistics, quotes, videos, financial tips, coupons, news, writing contests, and more tailored to each of the 10 life stages featured.  My Life Rewards® is the free discount program for all Stage of Life users, readers and writers dedicated to providing printable coupons and coupon codes tailored towards each stage of life.

Terms of Service and Privacy