STAGE OF LIFE       Share Your Story       Coupons       Education Resources

Teacher Appreciation: The Wonderful and Wacky Mr. Weaver

noah.weiner.3
“Mr. Weaver is a spy!” I shouted eagerly as I dove into the car after my first day of fourth grade. Somehow I believed it, somehow I fell for the lie.
"I'm fairly certain he wouldn't tell you if he were a spy," said my sister doubtfully.
"No, he is one!" I reassured her enthusiastically. "He works for the CIA!"
There was a mocking, excitement-killing silence in the car as we drove out of the school, and I could tell that confident disbelief hung in the air.
My mother emailed my new spy-teacher later to reassure me, but soon after that car ride I accepted the disappointing fact that Mr. Weaver had been joking. I was let down, but something about him retained my attention.
Scott Weaver turned out to be the best teacher I had ever had, and he holds that honorable position to this day. Maybe it was his dedication and devotion to his job, no matter how low the salary was. Maybe it was the way he loved every student and viewed each one as a precious, unique gem glowing with potential. Maybe it was the way his eyes shone when he told his fantastical made-up stories, full of judo moves and "wicked" waverunner stunts and suspenseful assassinations. Maybe it was his love for nature, fresh air, and woodworking—how he took us to his parents’ farm and showed off the piles of steaming manure like golden trophies, or how he pushed us around jovially in his handmade wooden go cart. Maybe it was the intense Pacman matches that he would drop on us unexpectedly. But whatever it was, some natural gift implanted within him allowed him to connect with each kid on a deeply personal level. He became best friends with all of them no matter how quirky, lonely, or quiet they happened to be.
I remember how he used to sit with us at lunch, sharing his ridiculous stories which we all knew were fake. But somehow we were so entertained by them, so amazed by their suspense and their well-developed plots. The stories were enhanced by Mr. Weaver's eternal grin. His genuine, clever grin that seemed to buzz about your face and ask, "How can I crack your code? How can I relate to you and make you laugh?"
I felt as though he appreciated my work much more than even my family members. He understood that I was a visual learner, and he made an effort to cater to my needs. He became my flame of inspiration.
After I graduated middle school, I received a personal email from Mr. Weaver telling me that he would support me in whatever I attempted or accomplished. It was then that I knew I would never know a man who was more giving, more inspirational, more absorbed by his career than this man who had befriended me four years earlier.
Rate this:

About StageofLife.comAbout Us:  StageofLife.com is a free blogging and writing community for high school students that allows teens the opportunity to share their personal stories and essays in an online life journal via their free Stage of Life account.  Check out our national Teen Trend Reports, and make sure to explore the writing contests for high school students, inspirational videos for teens, statistics about students, quotes about high school, and other resources about High School here on StageofLife.com.  Register to start your free writing profile, share an essay about your life, and help us change the world, one story at a time.  If you are a teacher - review our Language Arts Teaching Resources.

Writing Contest Archive - Students

Writing Contests and Teen Trend Reports

StageofLife.com Student Writing Contests

Below you will find all of the monthly writing contests and teen trend reports from the last five years hosted by StageofLife.com.  Our dedication to digital literacy efforts have reached over 1,000,000 students and teachers in the last half decade, received mention on TIME.com, and features in the news.  Feel free to click through and read the top essay submissions from any given month.  StageofLife.com is honored to be one of the most-visited writing contests for students in the world.  We love working with you as we celebrate the journey as life-long readers and writers...

2016 Writing Contests

Writing Contest for High School Students

2015 Writing Contests

2014 Writing Contests

2013 Writing Contests

2012 Writing Contests

2011 Writing Contests

2010 Writing Contests

Stage of Life Mission Statement

Find Us on Facebook      Follow Us on Twitter     Read our Founder's Blog

StageofLife.com was launched in 2009 as the premier destination for people of all ages to find information, coupons, and stories about one of ten key stage of life transitions:  high school, college, on my own, wedding, married without children, having a baby, home ownership, parenting, grand parenting, and empty nest/retirement.  Nearly 1 million visitors come to the site each year to find information about their stage of life.  Stage of Life users (teens, college students, Millennials, Gen Y, Gen X, and Baby Boomers) can also share and archive their life stories via their Stage of Life profile page.  Specialized content includes statistics, quotes, videos, financial tips, coupons, news, writing contests, and more tailored to each of the 10 life stages featured.  My Life Rewards® is the free discount program for all Stage of Life users, readers and writers dedicated to providing printable coupons and coupon codes tailored towards each stage of life.

Terms of Service and Privacy