Teacher Appreciation: The Wonderful and Wacky Mr. Weaver

noah.weiner.3
“Mr. Weaver is a spy!” I shouted eagerly as I dove into the car after my first day of fourth grade. Somehow I believed it, somehow I fell for the lie.
"I'm fairly certain he wouldn't tell you if he were a spy," said my sister doubtfully.
"No, he is one!" I reassured her enthusiastically. "He works for the CIA!"
There was a mocking, excitement-killing silence in the car as we drove out of the school, and I could tell that confident disbelief hung in the air.
My mother emailed my new spy-teacher later to reassure me, but soon after that car ride I accepted the disappointing fact that Mr. Weaver had been joking. I was let down, but something about him retained my attention.
Scott Weaver turned out to be the best teacher I had ever had, and he holds that honorable position to this day. Maybe it was his dedication and devotion to his job, no matter how low the salary was. Maybe it was the way he loved every student and viewed each one as a precious, unique gem glowing with potential. Maybe it was the way his eyes shone when he told his fantastical made-up stories, full of judo moves and "wicked" waverunner stunts and suspenseful assassinations. Maybe it was his love for nature, fresh air, and woodworking—how he took us to his parents’ farm and showed off the piles of steaming manure like golden trophies, or how he pushed us around jovially in his handmade wooden go cart. Maybe it was the intense Pacman matches that he would drop on us unexpectedly. But whatever it was, some natural gift implanted within him allowed him to connect with each kid on a deeply personal level. He became best friends with all of them no matter how quirky, lonely, or quiet they happened to be.
I remember how he used to sit with us at lunch, sharing his ridiculous stories which we all knew were fake. But somehow we were so entertained by them, so amazed by their suspense and their well-developed plots. The stories were enhanced by Mr. Weaver's eternal grin. His genuine, clever grin that seemed to buzz about your face and ask, "How can I crack your code? How can I relate to you and make you laugh?"
I felt as though he appreciated my work much more than even my family members. He understood that I was a visual learner, and he made an effort to cater to my needs. He became my flame of inspiration.
After I graduated middle school, I received a personal email from Mr. Weaver telling me that he would support me in whatever I attempted or accomplished. It was then that I knew I would never know a man who was more giving, more inspirational, more absorbed by his career than this man who had befriended me four years earlier.