Teacher Appreciation: Thank You, Jay

lydiachewchew
They say a teacher can open the door, but you must enter by yourself.

Teachers come in all flavors: the professionals of the schoolroom, the adults guiding you through your infancy, the criminals dealt life sentences who serve as warnings. But one group seems to be overlooked in particular – a demographic that, by all scientific data, holds more sway and thus more lessons than any other – my peers.

My teacher was an 18-year-old, fresh out of high school himself and ready to take on the challenges of his next stage of life. Nobody could have guessed that someone so poor in life experience could be so rich in life wisdom. He saw through me, from the desire and ambition to the ability and potential; he taught me to see myself the same way. It was the most difficult lesson of all, the lesson of self-value.

Before, I was a hatchling, terrified of the world and blind to its possibilities. My nest was constructed of hard concrete walls, immutable and unyielding. With pure faith he cut me a door, opening my mind to the fresh air and clear sky above. No careful lesson plan, no long-winded curriculum, could have accomplished the same. But he couldn’t take me through that door. I had to do it myself; he could only provide me the means with which to do it. And after much mentoring, fathering, coaxing, he gave me the last push into the next step: a big breath and a jump – and thus I began my journey as a fledgling jay, soaring upon these new-found wings.

Little else could have been as drastic. Trophies and awards from various extra-curricular clubs, while certainly delightful, held not a candle to the light I hoped – no, I knew – I could achieve.

Now, as I near the end of my high school career, I look back to that nest, an empty circlet of twigs and feathers. Perhaps the only obstacle in my way was a roadblock summoned from the depths of my subconscious, but I needed a jay who had just escaped his own nest to help me out of mine. That jay was you. Thank you, Jay.