STAGE OF LIFE       Share Your Story       Coupons       Education Resources

Teacher Appreciation: 50% of My Smiles

Leanne_ennaeL
I took a deep breath before plunging into the character that was madly in love with a dream. Words left my lips as quickly as I could think them up. Improvisation was the actor's most basic tool of survival. Then, I ran out of the room, staying in character the whole time. I still felt the warmth of Ms. Trump's crisp laughter outside the class. I walked back into the classroom, laughing as I saw my friend stumble. I wouldn't be able to do any acting or laugh so obnoxiously without Ms. Trump. She was definitely the hand dealt to me from life as she could be anything I needed. She was a mentor, a guide, a sun that shone so bright on the tiny flower full of potential she saw me to be. Above all, she was the person that clapped and smiled no matter the performance, no matter how much shyness and mumbling was involved.
"You did great, everything was good, and it'll just be getting greater and greater." I'm sure that's not her exact words, but that's what her smile, her encouragement, her applause said to me. No matter what the other classes held, drama class was able to get me energized and happy and confident. It was all thanks to Ms. Trump.
As I walked out of the classroom on the way to second period, I said thanks to her. There was so much to thank her for, but thanking her after every class was enough. I made sure to smile since 50% of my smiles were thanks to her. She gave me that confidence.
If you realized, no one is ever born confident. No one is ever able to stand tall at the get go. Confidence is developed by yourself, but outside forces can either strengthen it or break it completely. In my case, my outside force was Ms. Trump. She didn't just strengthen my confidence, she encouraged me and guided me to build it up myself.
She waved as she grabbed the attendance folder for her next class. She was small with eccentric clothes, wide expressive eyes, and a kind and caring smile that was always on her face. If I had to liken her to something, it would be a fairy or a guardian angel of some sort. She could brighten everyone's day just with a wave of her wand. She was that magical and great.
I have to thank her for a lot - for being the teacher that would let students nap on the couch, for being the reason why I can stand tall even when I identified my sexuality, for being the person that made me believe that teachers were everyday heroes, for being the piece in my life that I didn't know I needed. Thank you for reaching out to that short girl who would sit surrounded by the shadows of others, but always alone. I'll say thank you for her, because 50% of her smiles are because of you.
Rate this:
Comment by Tinerz

Beautifully written. I could feel the strong emotions. It's very powerful and strong. This essay really made me think about those who have impacted my life. Thanks for sharing. You're a real homie. Always keep writing! :D
Posted: Monday, June 1, 2015 4:55:04 AM
Rate this:

About StageofLife.comAbout Us:  StageofLife.com is a free blogging and writing community for high school students that allows teens the opportunity to share their personal stories and essays in an online life journal via their free Stage of Life account.  Check out our national Teen Trend Reports, and make sure to explore the writing contests for high school students, inspirational videos for teens, statistics about students, quotes about high school, and other resources about High School here on StageofLife.com.  Register to start your free writing profile, share an essay about your life, and help us change the world, one story at a time.  If you are a teacher - review our Language Arts Teaching Resources.

Writing Contest Archive - Students

Writing Contests and Teen Trend Reports

StageofLife.com Student Writing Contests

Below you will find all of the monthly writing contests and teen trend reports from the last five years hosted by StageofLife.com.  Our dedication to digital literacy efforts have reached over 1,000,000 students and teachers in the last half decade, received mention on TIME.com, and features in the news.  Feel free to click through and read the top essay submissions from any given month.  StageofLife.com is honored to be one of the most-visited writing contests for students in the world.  We love working with you as we celebrate the journey as life-long readers and writers...

2016 Writing Contests

Writing Contest for High School Students

2015 Writing Contests

2014 Writing Contests

2013 Writing Contests

2012 Writing Contests

2011 Writing Contests

2010 Writing Contests

Stage of Life Mission Statement

Find Us on Facebook      Follow Us on Twitter     Read our Founder's Blog

StageofLife.com was launched in 2009 as the premier destination for people of all ages to find information, coupons, and stories about one of ten key stage of life transitions:  high school, college, on my own, wedding, married without children, having a baby, home ownership, parenting, grand parenting, and empty nest/retirement.  Nearly 1 million visitors come to the site each year to find information about their stage of life.  Stage of Life users (teens, college students, Millennials, Gen Y, Gen X, and Baby Boomers) can also share and archive their life stories via their Stage of Life profile page.  Specialized content includes statistics, quotes, videos, financial tips, coupons, news, writing contests, and more tailored to each of the 10 life stages featured.  My Life Rewards® is the free discount program for all Stage of Life users, readers and writers dedicated to providing printable coupons and coupon codes tailored towards each stage of life.

Terms of Service and Privacy