Teacher Appreciation: The Gift of a Teacher

andi620
Fifth grade was a bad year for me, to say the least: My maternal grandfather and paternal grandmother died within two months and I was losing my best friend since kindergarten. It was a year full of Hell, but my teacher, Ms. Gorman, was an intensely caring teacher who helped me overcome these struggles.
The first tragedy that occurred was the loss of my grandfather. It was sudden and it was unbearable to me. Ms. Gorman was there for me the entire time, including walking me to the office when I left early for his wake and giving me encouragement. I remember her holding me as I cried for three days in a row during recess, and I distinctly remember her suggesting to add a page dedicated to my grandfather in my Christmas gift we made later that year. Her immense support during this trying time meant the world to me, especially when my grandmother died two months later.
We got the call in the middle of the night that my grandmother was experiencing sudden kidney failure for an unknown reason. The next day at school, Ms. Gorman was the first one to talk to me and express her condolences. She, again, held me as I cried and came up with ways to keep me preoccupied throughout the day—including letting me assist one of the first grade classes when I was unable to focus on the test we were taking. She was concerned with my well-being in a time when I was most concerned with my grandmother’s, and having her care about me so much was exactly what I needed.
Not only was Ms. Gorman my teacher, she also become like a mother to me in those nine months. I was having friend issues that entire year, and Ms. Gorman was always an open ear to hear my problems and offer advice. When we were in the middle of fighting, Ms. Gorman would offer me a recluse during lunch so I wouldn’t be lonely. She always made sure we worked things out and I only wish that she had been able to do the same thing when our friendship officially fell apart two years later. Ms. Gorman cared so much about me and all of her other students.
Every teacher has the ability to be a good one, but there are a select few who have such a big impact on our lives as Ms. Gorman did on mine. She became my supporter through everything, my mother figure, my confidant. Without her, my life would be a lot different because she saw when I needed help, even if I didn’t ask for it. Ms. Gorman also introduced me to the career path I want to take. Without her, I may have never discovered that I wanted to be a special education teacher. Her love and support meant the world to me, and I can honestly say Ms. Gorman is my favorite teacher, and the one who made the biggest impact on my life.