STAGE OF LIFE       Share Your Story       Coupons       Education Resources

Teacher Appreciation: My Saving Grace

Knitwit
For a reason that I do not want to explain, in the middle of November of my junior year I fell completely apart. It was a breakdown that has managed to last until the end of the school year. My teachers should have given up on me. I couldn’t pay attention in class, I didn’t want to do the assignments, my test grades dropped like rocks I never learned how to properly skip across the water, and the list goes on. But, I had a saving grace. For four long months my history teacher knew absolutely nothing about what was happening in my life, but that didn’t stop her from helping. Mrs. Smith brought out her mother instinct and started to try and help me. She’d place her hand lightly on my shoulder and ask me how I was doing, have long conversations with me about nothing in particular when she got the chance, and smile at me whenever she caught my eye. She was trying to let me know that if I needed her she would be there and that she still believed in me. Two messages that I needed to hear over and over, because I didn’t quite believe them.
It was in the middle of February when I finally told her what was going on, only because she seemed to have reached maximum worry level with me, going so far to tell me “You haven’t been yourself in months.” along with other words meaning she would try to help me. When I finally told her what was going on, she responded with “I’ve been through it” and a refusal to let me give up. She opened her door and her heart to me and pushed me with such a force that I started to get better.
I tried again in school, because I knew if my grades kept looking like they were she was going to be disappointed in me. I made dates with friends and dragged them out to have fun, because I was told I was a teenager who needed to let loose. I would put my homework down and try to fall asleep at a reasonable hour, because I was told that I needed to sleep. If I was having a bad day I would cast aside my homework and other responsibilities and just try to make it through, because I was told my health was more important than a grade. Mrs. Smith told me all of these things, because she wants to see me thriving ten years from now. She thinks I can make it in this world and she’s expecting to see me when I do.
Mrs. Smith has been my saving grace this year and I’m not sure how far I would have made it without her. She is my guide on life and works hard to help me. I give thanks for her quite a lot and I hope that one day I can repay her. Thank you, Mrs. Smith.
Rate this:

About StageofLife.comAbout Us:  StageofLife.com is a free blogging and writing community for high school students that allows teens the opportunity to share their personal stories and essays in an online life journal via their free Stage of Life account.  Check out our national Teen Trend Reports, and make sure to explore the writing contests for high school students, inspirational videos for teens, statistics about students, quotes about high school, and other resources about High School here on StageofLife.com.  Register to start your free writing profile, share an essay about your life, and help us change the world, one story at a time.  If you are a teacher - review our Language Arts Teaching Resources.

Writing Contest Archive - Students

Writing Contests and Teen Trend Reports

StageofLife.com Student Writing Contests

Below you will find all of the monthly writing contests and teen trend reports from the last five years hosted by StageofLife.com.  Our dedication to digital literacy efforts have reached over 1,000,000 students and teachers in the last half decade, received mention on TIME.com, and features in the news.  Feel free to click through and read the top essay submissions from any given month.  StageofLife.com is honored to be one of the most-visited writing contests for students in the world.  We love working with you as we celebrate the journey as life-long readers and writers...

2016 Writing Contests

Writing Contest for High School Students

2015 Writing Contests

2014 Writing Contests

2013 Writing Contests

2012 Writing Contests

2011 Writing Contests

2010 Writing Contests

Stage of Life Mission Statement

Find Us on Facebook      Follow Us on Twitter     Read our Founder's Blog

StageofLife.com was launched in 2009 as the premier destination for people of all ages to find information, coupons, and stories about one of ten key stage of life transitions:  high school, college, on my own, wedding, married without children, having a baby, home ownership, parenting, grand parenting, and empty nest/retirement.  Nearly 1 million visitors come to the site each year to find information about their stage of life.  Stage of Life users (teens, college students, Millennials, Gen Y, Gen X, and Baby Boomers) can also share and archive their life stories via their Stage of Life profile page.  Specialized content includes statistics, quotes, videos, financial tips, coupons, news, writing contests, and more tailored to each of the 10 life stages featured.  My Life Rewards® is the free discount program for all Stage of Life users, readers and writers dedicated to providing printable coupons and coupon codes tailored towards each stage of life.

Terms of Service and Privacy