Teacher Appreciation: My Saving Grace

Knitwit
For a reason that I do not want to explain, in the middle of November of my junior year I fell completely apart. It was a breakdown that has managed to last until the end of the school year. My teachers should have given up on me. I couldn’t pay attention in class, I didn’t want to do the assignments, my test grades dropped like rocks I never learned how to properly skip across the water, and the list goes on. But, I had a saving grace. For four long months my history teacher knew absolutely nothing about what was happening in my life, but that didn’t stop her from helping. Mrs. Smith brought out her mother instinct and started to try and help me. She’d place her hand lightly on my shoulder and ask me how I was doing, have long conversations with me about nothing in particular when she got the chance, and smile at me whenever she caught my eye. She was trying to let me know that if I needed her she would be there and that she still believed in me. Two messages that I needed to hear over and over, because I didn’t quite believe them.
It was in the middle of February when I finally told her what was going on, only because she seemed to have reached maximum worry level with me, going so far to tell me “You haven’t been yourself in months.” along with other words meaning she would try to help me. When I finally told her what was going on, she responded with “I’ve been through it” and a refusal to let me give up. She opened her door and her heart to me and pushed me with such a force that I started to get better.
I tried again in school, because I knew if my grades kept looking like they were she was going to be disappointed in me. I made dates with friends and dragged them out to have fun, because I was told I was a teenager who needed to let loose. I would put my homework down and try to fall asleep at a reasonable hour, because I was told that I needed to sleep. If I was having a bad day I would cast aside my homework and other responsibilities and just try to make it through, because I was told my health was more important than a grade. Mrs. Smith told me all of these things, because she wants to see me thriving ten years from now. She thinks I can make it in this world and she’s expecting to see me when I do.
Mrs. Smith has been my saving grace this year and I’m not sure how far I would have made it without her. She is my guide on life and works hard to help me. I give thanks for her quite a lot and I hope that one day I can repay her. Thank you, Mrs. Smith.