Teacher Appreciation: Ms. Delinski

sarahbenson
When I was younger, it was my belief that every person in the world is moving in his or her own direction. Like the lines that we study in Algebra, they extend forever and stop for nothing. Because of this, I believed that when two people came together, it could only be at one point, like an intersection. Since then, however, I have learned that this couldn't be further from the truth. Every person that we meet has an impact on us. Sometimes the impact is small, like when a stranger offers us a friendly smile when we are having an awful day. Sometimes, however, the impact that another person has on us is enough to change our lives.

When I sat down in Ms. Delinski's English class on the first day of school last year, I have to admit I was a little terrified. Some of my upperclassmen friends had seen her name on my schedule and warned me that I had better be careful. As a girl who practically lives and breathes literature, I was petrified. I could handle a cruel math teacher, or even a sadistic gym coach, but these qualities in an English teacher... I thought certainly that I was doomed.

However, as soon as Ms. Delinski came around to each table to introduce herself, I knew that she would quickly become one of my favorite teachers. She asked us about our summer vacations, and then, seemingly out of nowhere, told us about her near death experience, after picking up an old woman off of the side of the road who had convinced herself that Ms. Delinski was part of the mafia. Okay, was the first thing I thought to myself. This woman is not mean. She might be certifiably insane, but she is not mean. My second thought was that that would be a great way to open a story.

Although Ms. Delinski has provided me with a lot of laughs, and memories that still make me smile to think about, that is not why I am thankful for her. Ms. Delinski was the first person that I ever met that told me that my dream of being a successful author was not an impossible one. From my experiences of opening up and sharing my writing with her, I have gone from being a girl who was so frightened of rejection that she kept even her best pieces hidden in her nightstand, to becoming a writer who submits her work any place that will take it, using her rejection letters as a reminder that she is continuously growing stronger and braver.

From Ms. Delinski, I have learned the importance of being persistent. I have learned that dreams are only impossible to reach when you don't go out and chase them. I have also learned that there is humor in almost every situation, and things that seem like the end of the world today, will undoubtedly make great punch lines for tomorrow. Mostly importantly, I have learned the incredible difference we are capable of making in someone's life by simply being supportive.

I was right that every person in the world is moving in his or her own direction. However, we do not move alone. Everywhere we go, we carry fragments of others-- images of kind but unfamiliar faces, and words of approval given to us by those we care about most. I do not know what life has in store for me, but I do know that, where ever I go, I will always remember Ms. Delinski.