Teacher Appreciation: The Teacher Who Brought Me Out of My Shell

Melissaloomis
In kindergarten, my family underwent a huge move- from New York to California. Never has something impacted my life as much as this move. Before the move, I was kind of an arrogant little girl, to be honest. I had not a care in the world; I was fearless.

That all changed, however, after The Big Move. Yes, it sounds overdramatic, but my life was never the same after that fateful event. All trace of my bravery and self-confidence vanished as I entered a brand new school in a brand new state, knowing no one and scared of everything. Change is hard for anyone, but it is especially hard for kids, who are easily overwhelmed. Such was the case with young me, sassy girl turned shy.

Oh, I was the definition of shy during elementary school. For the first few years at the new school, I carried my baby blanket with me everywhere. Everything terrified me, especially the teachers. Elementary teachers still scare me to this day; they are some of the most loud and assertive people I know. But they have to be that way.; it’s no easy task controlling thirty rambunctious children. That as it may be, my only memories of my elementary school teachers are of yelling, growling, and angry people- one or two may have had horns sprouting from their heads, we’ll never know.

You see, I was punished for being shy. I was discriminated against; in fact, all shy kids are. It wasn’t as if the teachers physically separated out the shy kids from the gregarious, but I was always looked at with pity, as if there were something wrong with me that wasn’t in the other kids. It’s a sad fact that shy students are viewed as faulty; this fact was proven time and time again by all my elementary school teachers, except one.

My fifth grade year ended off with my teacher snarling in my face, “Look people in the eye when you talk to them, you rude girl!” I had cried about it all summer, feeling ashamed of myself, even though I had no intention of being rude. In any case, I was not looking forward to whatever nightmare sixth grade would bring.

I shuffled into the classroom, and The Teacher was standing there, smiling, and offered me her hand. “It’s a pleasure to meet you, Melissa!”

Yes, She had what I had always unconsciously been looking for in a teacher- respect. She treated me as an equal; She never talked down at me or treated me with the infuriating pity that every other teacher had employed. This mutual respect boosted my spirits and my self-confidence. I found myself smiling more, and actually enjoying my schoolwork. I found myself laughing, talking to other students, and becoming louder, bolder! I actively participated in class discussions, my grades went up and stayed up, and it was all thanks to a little respect from a very special teacher.

On behalf of the entire StageofLife.com editorial board, I would like to congratulate you for your May 2015 Teacher Appreciation Essay being selected as one of our top 11 finalists. Our editors are currently working on choosing the first place essay.

We will post all winning essay results by June 30th. You can check this page for the results after June 30th:

Posted: Monday, June 8, 2015 10:52:15 PM

On behalf of the entire StageofLife.com editorial board, I would like to congratulate you for your May 2015 Teacher Appreciation Essay being selected as a runner up in our teen essay contest.

Posted: Thursday, June 18, 2015 8:03:20 PM

Hi! We wanted to let you know that we have created the Teen Trend Report for the Teacher Appreciation writing contest. Feel free to check it out and share it with friends, family and the teacher you wrote about in your winning essay.

http://www.stageoflife.com/StageHighSchool/TeensandTeacherAppreciation.aspx

Thanks again for sharing your story with the world!

- Rebecca
Posted: Monday, August 17, 2015 3:21:52 PM