STAGE OF LIFE       Share Your Story       Coupons       Education Resources

Teacher Appreciation: The Teacher Who Brought Me Out of My Shell

Melissaloomis
In kindergarten, my family underwent a huge move- from New York to California. Never has something impacted my life as much as this move. Before the move, I was kind of an arrogant little girl, to be honest. I had not a care in the world; I was fearless.

That all changed, however, after The Big Move. Yes, it sounds overdramatic, but my life was never the same after that fateful event. All trace of my bravery and self-confidence vanished as I entered a brand new school in a brand new state, knowing no one and scared of everything. Change is hard for anyone, but it is especially hard for kids, who are easily overwhelmed. Such was the case with young me, sassy girl turned shy.

Oh, I was the definition of shy during elementary school. For the first few years at the new school, I carried my baby blanket with me everywhere. Everything terrified me, especially the teachers. Elementary teachers still scare me to this day; they are some of the most loud and assertive people I know. But they have to be that way.; it’s no easy task controlling thirty rambunctious children. That as it may be, my only memories of my elementary school teachers are of yelling, growling, and angry people- one or two may have had horns sprouting from their heads, we’ll never know.

You see, I was punished for being shy. I was discriminated against; in fact, all shy kids are. It wasn’t as if the teachers physically separated out the shy kids from the gregarious, but I was always looked at with pity, as if there were something wrong with me that wasn’t in the other kids. It’s a sad fact that shy students are viewed as faulty; this fact was proven time and time again by all my elementary school teachers, except one.

My fifth grade year ended off with my teacher snarling in my face, “Look people in the eye when you talk to them, you rude girl!” I had cried about it all summer, feeling ashamed of myself, even though I had no intention of being rude. In any case, I was not looking forward to whatever nightmare sixth grade would bring.

I shuffled into the classroom, and The Teacher was standing there, smiling, and offered me her hand. “It’s a pleasure to meet you, Melissa!”

Yes, She had what I had always unconsciously been looking for in a teacher- respect. She treated me as an equal; She never talked down at me or treated me with the infuriating pity that every other teacher had employed. This mutual respect boosted my spirits and my self-confidence. I found myself smiling more, and actually enjoying my schoolwork. I found myself laughing, talking to other students, and becoming louder, bolder! I actively participated in class discussions, my grades went up and stayed up, and it was all thanks to a little respect from a very special teacher.
Rate this:
Comment by thiegsr

On behalf of the entire StageofLife.com editorial board, I would like to congratulate you for your May 2015 Teacher Appreciation Essay being selected as one of our top 11 finalists. Our editors are currently working on choosing the first place essay.

We will post all winning essay results by June 30th. You can check this page for the results after June 30th:
http://www.stageoflife.com/Writing_Contests/WritingContestWinners.aspx

Thanks for adding your voice to our mission “Changing the World . . . One Story at a Time” and feel free to share your accomplishment with the world.

Sincerely,
Rebecca Thiegs
StageofLife.com Co-Founder and Education Consultant
Posted: Monday, June 8, 2015 10:52:15 PM
Rate this:
Comment by thiegsr

On behalf of the entire StageofLife.com editorial board, I would like to congratulate you for your May 2015 Teacher Appreciation Essay being selected as a runner up in our teen essay contest.

We will post all winning essay results by June 30th. You can check this page for the results after June 30th:
http://www.stageoflife.com/Writing_Contests/WritingContestWinners.aspx

Thanks for adding your voice to our mission “Changing the World . . . One Story at a Time” and feel free to share your accomplishment with the world.

Sincerely,
Rebecca Thiegs
Posted: Thursday, June 18, 2015 8:03:20 PM
Rate this:
Comment by thiegsr

Hi! We wanted to let you know that we have created the Teen Trend Report for the Teacher Appreciation writing contest. Feel free to check it out and share it with friends, family and the teacher you wrote about in your winning essay.

http://www.stageoflife.com/StageHighSchool/TeensandTeacherAppreciation.aspx

Thanks again for sharing your story with the world!

- Rebecca
Posted: Monday, August 17, 2015 3:21:52 PM
Rate this:

About StageofLife.comAbout Us:  StageofLife.com is a free blogging and writing community for high school students that allows teens the opportunity to share their personal stories and essays in an online life journal via their free Stage of Life account.  Check out our national Teen Trend Reports, and make sure to explore the writing contests for high school students, inspirational videos for teens, statistics about students, quotes about high school, and other resources about High School here on StageofLife.com.  Register to start your free writing profile, share an essay about your life, and help us change the world, one story at a time.  If you are a teacher - review our Language Arts Teaching Resources.

Writing Contest Archive - Students

Writing Contests and Teen Trend Reports

StageofLife.com Student Writing Contests

Below you will find all of the monthly writing contests and teen trend reports from the last five years hosted by StageofLife.com.  Our dedication to digital literacy efforts have reached over 1,000,000 students and teachers in the last half decade, received mention on TIME.com, and features in the news.  Feel free to click through and read the top essay submissions from any given month.  StageofLife.com is honored to be one of the most-visited writing contests for students in the world.  We love working with you as we celebrate the journey as life-long readers and writers...

2016 Writing Contests

Writing Contest for High School Students

2015 Writing Contests

2014 Writing Contests

2013 Writing Contests

2012 Writing Contests

2011 Writing Contests

2010 Writing Contests

Stage of Life Mission Statement

Find Us on Facebook      Follow Us on Twitter     Read our Founder's Blog

StageofLife.com was launched in 2009 as the premier destination for people of all ages to find information, coupons, and stories about one of ten key stage of life transitions:  high school, college, on my own, wedding, married without children, having a baby, home ownership, parenting, grand parenting, and empty nest/retirement.  Nearly 1 million visitors come to the site each year to find information about their stage of life.  Stage of Life users (teens, college students, Millennials, Gen Y, Gen X, and Baby Boomers) can also share and archive their life stories via their Stage of Life profile page.  Specialized content includes statistics, quotes, videos, financial tips, coupons, news, writing contests, and more tailored to each of the 10 life stages featured.  My Life Rewards® is the free discount program for all Stage of Life users, readers and writers dedicated to providing printable coupons and coupon codes tailored towards each stage of life.

Terms of Service and Privacy