Teacher Appreciation: Not Only A Mentor

gabimartinez
Throughout elementary, middle, and high school I have had my share of teachers that I like and others that I am not a huge fan of. But throughout my educational career I had never had a teacher that I actually developed a relationship with and genuinely enjoyed seeing every day until my junior year of high school. In the first trimester of my junior year my father passed away. Most of my teachers emailed and shared their condolences for my loss but one teacher seemed to genuinely mean what she said. This teacher is Mrs. Talle. Before my loss Mrs. Talle and I had really only said hi and bye to each other, but when this came around she shared in her email that she has lost her father as well and that I could reach out to her about anything. I believe her sharing that she has had the same loss opened a window for something for the two of us to bond over. Mrs. Talle allowed me to stay in her classroom frequently when I was feeling down or had the urge to talk about things with her. Eventually our conversations lead to knowing more personal information about each other. I have never had a teacher who has been able to carry a regular conversation with me as if we were just friends, not teacher and student. The reason why I believe Mrs. Talle is such a great teacher is because she knows how to relate to students. She doesn't instill fear or dead seriousness in her classroom but she does know when to put her foot down. Mrs. Talle is so fun and bubbly and her classroom is very inviting because of her amazing personality. Along with her great inviting personality she is willing to take as much one on one time as a student needs in order to understand the material being taught in her class. I can honestly say that I do not only view Mrs. Talle as a teacher but a friend as well, and I have never been able to say that about a teacher till I met her. Thank you for everything Mrs. Talle.