Teacher Appreciation: Pushing My Limits

celizabethc
In every classroom there are those students- the quiet ones that avoid participating in fear of leaving their comfort zone. That was me in seventh grade. Coming from years of private school with a classroom of seven students, I was shy and I enjoyed a quaint, small classroom. But with the end of my gymnastics career came the end of private school and the start of public middle school with hundreds of strangers. I felt awkward and alone in class and it wasn't until my reading teacher came along and pushed me out of my comfort zone that I was able to figure out who I was and where I belonged.

Mrs. Stoddard has a huge personality and the hair to match. Her southern accent accompanied by teased hair and Texas-sized accessories give her a one of a kind look. But Mrs. Stoddard was more than how she presented herself. She is the kind of teacher that asks students about themselves and makes jokes with her class and calls on random students to read out loud or share their ideas.

From the beginning of the year Mrs. Stoddard realized that I was shy and she was determined to change that. She would ask me to read passages out loud or share my book reports with the class or give a critique of a student's work. Reading and writing had always been difficult for me so I would go to tutorials with Mrs. Stoddard and ask for help. During this time, she expressed how she enjoyed having me in her class and seeing me begin to open up. This up port gave me the confidence to try even harder in her class than I was before. At first, I felt very uncomfortable in her class but as the year went on, I became a more confident writer and made friends with the girls around me.

Reflecting back, I realize that seventh grade was a transition year for me where I grew as a person, thanks to people like Mrs. Stoddard who helped me establish who I was. Without the push I received from Mrs. Stoddard to improve my writing skills and leave my comfort zone socially, I would not be the person I am today.