Teacher Appreciation: Intimidation Leads to Success

LilyN0804
A teacher's purpose in their career is to aid students in their education as well as to teach them the skills they will need for their future. Teaching students takes a lot of dedication and patience in order to ensure that every student is getting the attention they need. Teachers have put a lot of time into preparing us students for a better and brighter future. A truly great teacher is one who persistently aids each student ensuring that they are getting the education they need. A particular individual that I have noticed in my life who demonstrates the characteristics of an admirable teacher is my seventh grade history teacher whose name I will leave anonymous.
Back in my middle school years, when I had just entered the seventh grade, I had heard past students talk about a particular teacher who was extremely intimidating. She had strict class rules and a terrifying tone as she spoke. After hearing these rumors, I hoped that I would not have this lady as a teacher, but as I looked at my schedule for the new year, her name was written for my seventh period class. As seventh period arrived, I stepped into her classroom and her stern voice kept the entire class quiet for the entire time. Due to my teacher's intimidating presence, the classroom was left in a grim and tense atmosphere for most of the year. In the work she made us do, she made sure we did it in a certain way and always made sure that we were paying attention in class as she randomly called on students. Her unnerving way of teaching made students nervous and anxious. However, as time continued to pass, I began to realize the reason why she taught in this particular way. With her strict way of teaching she was able to ensure that each student was understanding the lesson being taught. Because she taught in this way, it demonstrates how my teacher was dedicated to her job and was committed to teaching all of the students. After leaving middle school and entering high school, I began to take more difficult classes such as Honors Humanities and AP European Culture. Despite the difficulty of these classes, they felt as if they were review as many of the things that were taught in these classes were already taught to me by my seventh grade teacher. Seeing that all the material taught was once again brought up in my high school career, I realized how determined my teacher was to prepare us for our future.
Without realizing how great my teacher is, students today, still see her as intimidating. However, seeing all the things she has taught me, I no longer view her in this way and appreciate all that she has done for me. Despite her stern way of teaching, my seventh grade teacher had good intentions to educate every student thoroughly and has become a perfect example of an honorable teacher.